Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

14 QUEEN STREET WITH FRONT WALL AND LAMP STANDARDSLB29538

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
03/03/1966
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25343 74186
Coordinates
325343, 674186

Description

1787; reconstructed and extended 1838; rear addition by John Chesser, 1852. 4-storey basement and attic to rear, 4-bay former classical club. Polished Craigleith sandstone ashlar facade. Round-headed basement door with fine metal fanlight (probably resited from original doorway above). Droved ashlar basement; base course. At ground, arcaded rustication to original 3 (W) bays with rectangular windows set in; carved scrolled impost course; large porch to E bay with coupled Ionic columns, full entablature and blocking course; 2-leaf panelled doors. Tall windows at 1st floor with cill/band course, moulded architraves, cornices and rosette friezes. Short 2nd floor windows with moulded architraves. Dentilled cornice and frieze as above. 3rd (attic) storey with plain windows, simple cornice.

Irregular rubble rear elevation with full attic storey; E (later) bay projects slightly, with circular stair tower and closet tower, both to 2nd floor only, flanking full-height shallow bow. Single storey and basement link to rear extension.

Timber sash and case 4- and 6-pane windows with secondary glazing. Piended roof; grey slates; dressed stone stacks.

Piended and pitched roofed blocks to rear.

INTERIOR: thoroughly altered and sub-divided. Large Hall with square cantilevered top-lit stair and cast-iron banisters (1838); dentilled cornice with panelling above supports circular cupola. Principal 1st floor rooms include apsidal-ended room with Venetian window (and service stair) to rear. Considerable accommodation in block to rear, partly top-lit former billiard room only note of interest.

FRONT WALLS AND LAMP STANDARDS: low coped wall with base course to front, replacing traditional railings; pair of fine cast-iron lamp standards to porch.

Statement of Special Interest

Reconstructed for the Caledonian United Service Club in 1838 by extending a bay to the E and adding an extra storey. It is not clear what the single bay building between Nos 11-13 and No 14 was. Latterly the head office of Lothian Region Transport with interior fittings made by the joiners who built their buses. The extra bay copied the original very fine facade exactly, but the join is clearly visible due to later subsidence. A significant surviving part of the original fabric of Edinburgh?s New Town, one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain; Queen Street was built to take advantage of the northern views, and has survived remarkably unaltered to this day.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild plans 1838 (plans missing). RCAHMS INVENTORY no 132. MacRae Her 38. A J Youngson THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH (1966) pp79, 92. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1988) p319. EDINBURGH COURANT 2nd December 1805. Kirkwood?s Map of 1819.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 14 QUEEN STREET WITH FRONT WALL AND LAMP STANDARDS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/07/2022 21:49