There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Supplementary Information Updated: 28/03/1996
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 25531 73986
- Coordinates: 325531, 673986
W Hamilton Beattie, 1893-5; N extension A R Scott, 1903. Massive early Renaissance 6-storey and attic department store with canted 7-storey corner tower, built on ground falling to S; tower culminating in octagon with flying buttresses and oculi. Pink polished sandstone ashlar. All embracing strapwork detailing; paired columns and cornices framing windows, replaced by caryatids at 1st floor of corner (also to flying buttresses). Arcaded ground floor with plate glass shop windows. Ashlar mullions and transoms to 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors, mullions at 4th. Arched windows to 5th floor, mostly paired, many set in swan-neck pedimented aedicules. Strapwork balustrading to 1st and 3rd floors, carved aprons to 2nd and 4th, open balustrade to 5th. Total of 6 flagpoles.
S (PRINCES STREET) ELEVATION: 5-bay; pedimented door at centre. 2 left bays slightly advanced with swan-necked pediment supported by consoles and caryatids; dormer to centre bay; right bay part of tower.
E (SOUTH ST DAVID STREET) ELEVATION: largely symmetrical 16-bay; tower to S, and simplified 6-storey version to N. Centre bays united by overlaid aedicules rising through attic, pedimented door at ground; flanking wings with solid projecting parapeted towers at centre which disguise level changes, with aedicules to each floor (strapwork cresting progressively transforming into pediments).
N (ROSE STREET) ELEVATION: 6-bay trabeated facade, stripped of all ornament, except initial bay which blends into corner tower. Channelled pilasters at ground, giant order pilasters to 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th floors, bipartite windows, pedimented dormers. Flying links to W (over entrance to Rose Street Lane South).
Plate glass casement windows to 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors; 12-pane timber sash and case to 4th, plate glass timber sash and case to 5th. Grey slates.
INTERIOR: fire-proof; steel-beams carried on iron columns support floors of 2-3 inch thick Stuart?s Granolithic. Elaborate strapwork timber stair from ground floor at S leads to magnificent 3-storey top-lit Saloon rising full height of building with open timber Queen-post roof and consoled galleries; further strapwork stairs to
1st floor. Remainder of interior mostly upgraded to modern retail use.
Statement of Special Interest
Details from many sources, including, at Charles Jenner's insistence, the Bodleian Library; the caryatids were intended, in Jenner's words, 'to show symbolically that women are the support of the house'. The first shop was opened on the 1st May 1838 by Charles Jenner and Charles Kennington in converted houses on the present site; these burnt down on the night of the 26th November 1892, with the loss of buildings and goods valued at a quarter of a million pounds. The present fireproofed replacement was one of the largest department stores in Britain when it was opened on the 8th March 1895, is one of the last privately owned independent stores left in Britain, and apparently the oldest in the world. Major restoration to stonework, 1995-6. The 6 N bays were added in perfect harmony by Beattie's partner Scott in 1903. Extended to W in 1966 by Tarbolton & Ochterlony, to sympathise with their Mount Royal hotel beyond, of 1955. Single fine Gothic streetlight survives to South St David Street, in form of octagonal column with subsidiary ventilator columns at ground; bracket lamp at top (globe missing).
BUILDER 10 January 1903. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1988) p311. Fiona Sinclair SCOTSTYLE: 150 YEARS OF SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE (1984) pp60-61. Store history.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.