Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 21022 69108
321022, 669108


J Jerdan and Son, 1914. 2-storey and attic, harled villa with red tiled roof, arched doorway to E, circular bay to SE corner, canted bay to S, scullery outshot to NW corner, and later additions to NE and SW corners. Rubble base course to E elevation only. Plain window openings with sandstone cills.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-leaf timber panelled door in arched roll-moulded tabbed architrave with prominent keystone; deep, bracketed open segmental pediment forming canopy above. Advanced circular bay around corner to left with cill-height battered random rubble base course. Late 20th century extension with bell-cast roof advanced to outer right.

S (PRINCIPAL/GARDEN) ELEVATION: Advanced 2-storey canted bay with rubble base course to centre; narrow half-glazed garden door to left return of bay at ground; cornicing above windows at both floors, and to cill of 1st floor window; tripartite, flat-roofed dormer to attic above. Bipartite windows at both floors to outer bays (ground-floor window to left is later addition); 1st floor windows breaking eaves with piend-roofed dormerheads. Advanced circular bay around corner to outer right (see above). Later outshot to SW corner with non-traditional sliding doors and tiled roof.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated gable with central buttress; gablehead stack; later piend-roofed addition to SW corner (see above) and single-storey 2-window scullery to outer left.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated with large tripartite staircase window to left and flat-roofed dormers to attic. Scullery outshot to right with timber boarded doors to left return. Late twentieth century extension to outer right.

Predominantly 12- and 8-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Gablet-shouldered corniced stacks with red clay cans. Red tiles to roof, with red ridge tiles. Cast-iron downpipes.

INTERIOR: red tiled lobby with half-glazed timber panelled inner door. Canadian yellow pine staircase with turned balusters. Some original fireplaces. Original cornices to principal rooms. Timber panelled interior doors.

BOUNDARY WALL: low random rubble boundary wall supporting timber fence.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly called Benarty House. The last of a row of 4 houses by Jerdan, on the N side of Spylaw Park (This house is on the corner of Spylaw Park and Pentland Road, with its entrance towards the latter street). The planning is very good, and is similar to the planning of the houses that Lorimer had built in Colinton at the turn of the century. The house is set back to the North of its site, so that the principal rooms and bedrooms can face South over the largest possible area of lawn. The staircase and bathrooms occupy the North elevation, and the rooms used by the servants faced West, and did not overlook the main part of the garden, thereby keeping it relatively private. The present South-facing kitchen window is a later alteration, and this part of wall was originally blind. The original kitchen window was to the West, which had the advantage of keeping the hot South sun out of the kitchen, which needed to be kept cool.

The architect of the house is almost certainly John Jerdan, who was the son of James Jerdan. James Jerdan worked as an assistant first with Wardrop and Reid, then with Rowand Anderson, and finally set up his own practice in about 1885. John Jerdan was apprenticed to his father, and later went to London, where he gained a place at the office of Aston Webb (who had the largest practice in Britain at that time). James Jerdan's health started to deteriorate in 1903, and his son was obliged to return to Edinburgh to continue his father's practice. The majority of John Jerdan's designs were for houses in fashionable suburbs like Colinton. He is known to have designed at least six houses in Colinton, of which this is one of the best. His houses tend to be fairly plain with roughcast walls, but usually have fairly elaborate entrance doorways, and nice Arts and Crafts details.



Midlothian Dean of Guild plans in Edinburgh City Archive, 26th Feb 1914. Drawings in the RIAS. Appears on 1934 OS map.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 4 PENTLAND ROAD WITH BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 00:04