Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

8 PENTLAND AVENUE WITH BOUNDARY WALL AND GATELB29483

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
19/12/1979
Supplementary Information Updated
19/11/2003
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 21251 69136
Coordinates
321251, 669136

Description

James M Thomson's Office, 1904; alteration to door, 1909; additions by James D Cairns, 1923. 2-storey, 3-bay harled Arts and Crafts house with Arts and Crafts doorpiece to side. Symmetrical S (front) elevation with three 5-light canted windows at ground (central window, 1923); outer 2 rising into over-sailing gables with bipartite first floor windows; swept roof to centre with flat-roofed bipartite dormer. 1923 single-storey block to right with canted corner corbelled to square and recent French door. Entrance to W (now in modern conservatory) with Studio inspired Arts and Crafts detail; tapered timber pilasters with carved hearts supporting bracketed cornice; curvilinear pediment above with carved sun to centre; half-glazed timber-boarded door with leaded lights. Rear elevation with 1923 asymmetrical gable to right and 1923 advanced gable to left; late twentieth century extension at ground.

Predominantly small-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Harled corniced stacks with tall red clay cans. Red tiled roof with crested ridge tiles.

INTERIOR: entrance lobby with stained glass leaded lights in timber panelled door. Depressed arches in hall and upstairs landing. Timber staircase with turner balusters. 1923 elliptical arch between sitting and dining rooms with prominent "keystone" and 2-leaf, half-glazed timber panelled door and side lights. Picture rail in sitting room. Decorative cornices in ground floor rooms. Timber panelled doors throughout.

BOUNDARY WALL: coped random rubble boundary wall.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly called Restenneth. A good Arts and Crafts House with a delightful doorpiece and nice interior, in a prominent position on Pentland Avenue. The previous list description (written in 1979) mentions unsigned Dean of Guild plans by Thomas Hardie, builder, which now (2003) seem to be lost.

References

Bibliography

Appears on 1908 (resurveyed 1905) OS map. Dean of Guild plans, 19th April 1923. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: EDINBURGH, p521.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 8 PENTLAND AVENUE WITH BOUNDARY WALL AND GATE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/02/2020 23:22