Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

18 AND 20 NICOLSON STREETLB29418

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/04/1977
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26082 73231
Coordinates
326082, 673231

Description

Circa 1790. 4-storey and attic, 5-bay tenement with projecting single-storey, altered shops to ground and remains of later (1903) 2-storey harled former cinema extension to rear with roof-top drying green. Droved ashlar, rubble to rear and side gable to N. Central 3-window pedimented wallhead gable with apex stack.. Later, 6-light timber canted bay windows to outer bays to 1st storey. Raised cills, cornice. Central 2-leaf, 4-panel timber entrance door to former cinema (see Notes) with rectangular fanlight above with multi-pane glazing pattern; stair entrance to left. Central 2-window pedimented wallhead gable with stack at apex to rear. To rear, later metal walkway leads from 3rd storey of tenement to drying area.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows to upper storeys, plate glass to shops. Grey slates. Coped, gable stacks, raised skews.

Statement of Special Interest

This late 18th century tenement has significant streetscape value and little alteration to the upper storeys. The pedimented wallhead gable is typical of tenement building at the time and particularly characteristic of this part of Edinburgh. The projecting single storey shops to the ground were most likely added in the late 19th century and are a familiar addition to Edinburgh tenements. The tenement is an important component of the expansion of the city to the South.

This section of Nicolson Street dates from late 18th century and was built on land feued from Lady Nicolson, whose house formerly stood just to the North of this tenement.

The cinema to the rear was opened in 1903 as the North British Electric Theatre and renamed later as the Cinema House. The cinema was closed in 1930 and became the Salvation Army Hall. Much of the cinema was demolished in 2004, but the drying green area has been retained.

List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08.

References

Bibliography

John Ainslie, Map of Old and New Town of Edinburgh and Leith with the proposed Docks, 1804. 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map 1905-6. John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker, Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1984 p247 www.scottishcinems.org.uk (accessed 01-06-07).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 18 AND 20 NICOLSON STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 02:02