Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

University of Edinburgh, Alison House, Including Railings, 12-14 (Inclusive Numbers) Nicolson Square, EdinburghLB29414

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Last Date Amended
17/07/2015
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26001 73206
Coordinates
326001, 673206

Description

Circa 1780s. 3-storey, basement and attic, 9-bay symmetrical tenement block, with steps and entrance platts oversailing basement, currently academic department (2007). Droved ashlar, with raised cills. Simple, pilastered, corniced and architraved doorpieces. No 12 with enlarged central 2-leaf timber entrance door with rectangular fanlight above. Central bay with round-arched window opening with Y-tracery. Pair of wallhead gables. Later piended and pedimented dormers.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates, cast iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: (seen 2007). Largely altered and modified. Central curved dog-leg staircase with stone treads and metal balusters and handrail. Large galleried hall to rear with central cupola and metal columns supporting gallery. Venetian window and flanking rectangular windows set within timber segmental-arched niche.

RAILINGS: to street elevation. Plain metal railings, with integral gates to basements.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a good example of a late 18th century tenement, built in the Classical style which is a critical part of Edinburgh's character. It is an important part of the streetscape of the area and is testament to the city's early planning aspirations. The former warehouse to the rear with its interior with iron supporting columns is a less common survival.

Nicolson Square itself dates from 1765 and was feued from the Estate of Lady Nicolson. This tenement block is situated in the NW corner of the square it was previously part of Hay Street, which was feued in 1782 and built by an Alexander Hay. It has now become part of Nicolson Square.

The building became a furniture warehouse and painted writing, advertising this fact remains on the S elevation. The warehouse to the rear is shown on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1876-7.

List description updated as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08.

Statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as '12-14 (inclusive nos) Nicolson Square, University of Edinburgh, Alison House including railings'.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 118665

John Ainslie, City of Edinburgh Map, 1780.

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map, (1876-7).

John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker, The Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1984. p234.

www.scran.co.uk (accessed 07-08-07).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

South Elevation, University of Edinburgh, Alison House, Including Railings, 12-14 (Inclusive Numbers) Nicolson Square, Edinburgh
East Elevation, University of Edinburgh, Alison House, Including Railings, 12-14 (Inclusive Numbers) Nicolson Square, Edinburgh

Printed: 17/08/2022 14:23