Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

5 NEW STREET, CANONGATE VENTURE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERSLB29393

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: C
  • Date Added: 13/08/1987

Location

  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NT 26235 73772
  • Coordinates: 326235, 673772

Description

Robert Wilson, 1900-1. 2-storey former school building with Queen Anne detailing, shaped gables and square-plan bellcote with columns supporting slated, swept roof and gilded cockerel weathervane. Coursed bull-faced sandstone with red sandstone dressings. Base course; eaves cornice. Long and short quoins; raised margins; tabbed surrounds. Built on sloping site, ground made up at N with coped, random coursed bull-faced sandstone retaining wall below playground level (iron railings over); windows to East Market Street containing series of offices and workshops.

E (NEW STREET) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; bays grouped 3:3:3. 3 bays to right: bipartite window in centre bay; gablet with apex stack and scrolled skewputts above; steps to 2-leaf timber panelled door in Gibbs surround with pulvinated frieze; small window above in corniced surround flanked by carved foliate scrolls. Stone-mullioned windows to centre bay; piend-roofed dormerhead with Venetian window breaking eaves above. Shaped dormerhead to centre window breaking eaves to left.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: mirrored (flat-coped dormerhead at right).

N (EAST MARKET STREET) ELEVATION: symmetrical, 9 bays. Slightly advanced gabled outer bays with Gibbs surrounds to 1st floor windows and keyed oculi above. Recessed linking 5-bay range: slightly advanced centre bay with corniced, pilastered bipartite bay (carved angels to ground floor cornice, fluted pilasters to 1st floor) and bell-cast roof breaking eaves; tall mullioned and transomed windows to stair wells in flanking bays.

S ELEVATION: symmetrical. Shaped gables to outer bays (circular panels in gables) with off-set windows. Piend-roofed and shaped dormerheads breaking eaves in 3rd bays from left and right.

Timber sash and case 12-pane glazing. Grey slate pitched roofs. Stone skews with scrolled skewputts. Corniced apex stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative hoppers.

INTERIOR: glazed white tiled entrance vestibule; central galleried hall with continuous glazed rooflight; arch-braced and tie-beamed timber supports with carved scroll hammer braces. Former classrooms off ground floor and off parquet-floored gallery at 1st floor; plain iron railings with timber banister; stairwells at N with white glazed tiles to dado and plain ochre-coloured border.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: gatepiers to New Street entrance with platform copes and rusticated bands; later overthrow. Plain iron railings to coped sanstone boundary wall.

Statement of Special Interest

Built by Robert Wilson, architect for Edinburgh School Board, as North Canongate Infant School. The building became a school of building in 1943, offices in 1968 and the Canongate Venture, housing a variety of small businesses and workshops, in 1981. The central galleried hall remains virtually unchanged and is a good, typical example of Board School design of the period.

References

Bibliography

Edinburgh City Archive, Dean of Guild plans dated 1900. Appears on 1905 OS map. Gifford, McWilliam, Walker BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: EDINBURGH (1984) p186.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Printed: 20/11/2017 03:35