Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

Patrick Geddes Hall (Part), 1 Mound Place, EdinburghLB29379

Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Last Date Amended
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 25419 73597
325419, 673597


Late 18th century. 4-storey and attic 3-bay tenement with basement to left, sloped to line of street and 2-window nepus gable with apex stack to centre. Squared rubble with ashlar dressings. Dividing band between basement and ground floors. Long and short quoins. Raised margins to windows. Stone steps and platts with cast-iron railings over-arching basement area to timber panelled door in corniced surround to centre; cast-iron railings to basement area. Later segmental-arched timber dormers to attic

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced apex and end stacks with circular cans.

Statement of Special Interest

Prior to the mid eighteenth century building on the north side of Castle Hill was concentrated around the land fronting the high street. Following the draining of the Nor' Loch and the construction of the New Town from 1767, tenement blocks were built at the back of the Castle Hill tofts facing new development to the North.

The tenement block is visible on John Ainslie's 1780 plan of Edinburgh and Alexander Kincaid's 1784 plan of Edinburgh.

In 1927 the upper part of No 1 Mound Place was joined to Lister House, at 2 Mound Place, which had been student accommodation, associated with Patrick Geddes, since 1887. Lister House became university property in 1964 and, after restoration by Ian G Lindsay and Partners, nos 1 and 2 were opened on 10th November 1978 as Patrick Geddes Hall.

Listed building record and statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as '1 Mound Place, Patrick Geddes Hall (Part)'.



Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: CANMORE ID 52190

Ainslie, J. (1780) City of Edinburgh. Edinburgh : Ainslie.

Kincaid, A. (1784) A plan of the city and suburbs of Edinburgh. Edinburgh : s.n.

Pinkerton, R. M. and Windram, W. J. (1983) Mylne's Court: three hundred years of Lawnmarket heritage, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh. pp. 75-78.

Gifford, J. McWilliam, C. and Walker, D. (1991) The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh. London: Penguin Books. p 192, 271

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


North elevation, Patrick Geddes Hall (Part), 1 Mound Place, Edinburgh, trees and wall in foreground.
South elevation, Patrick Geddes Hall (Part), 1 Mound Place, Edinburgh, taken on cloudy day.

Printed: 11/08/2022 17:49