Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

302-310 (EVEN NOS) LAWNMARKET, INCLUDING BUCHANAN'S CLOSE AND BRODIE'S CLOSELB29239

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25589 73549
Coordinates
325589, 673549

Description

16th and 17th century with later alterations and additions, including James Jerdan 1896. 2 irregularly fenestrated 5-storey 3-bay blocks with gabled dormers fronting Lawnmarket, and 2 wings extending to rear; 2-window gabled bay over broad segmental-arched pend (Brodie's Close) to centre, with further (older) vaulted pend to S; narrow flat-arched pend to outer left (Buchanan's Close). Block to left harled (painted to ground), that to right random ashlar, both random rubble to rear. Continuous cornice to shops to left and right; modern glazing and 2-leaf timber panelled doors to ground floor. Harled block to left: bracketed windows, 4 grouped 2:2 to 1st floor and 3 to 2nd floor; shallow jetties to 3rd and 4th floors, with 4 windows off-centre to left at 3rd floor, 3 corniced windows to 4th, with bracketed jerkin-head over single window in dentilled timber gable. Random rubble block to right: small windows to outer right; paired (later) windows in gabled 2nd bay from right; small windows (lighting stair) in narrow crowstepped gabled bay to left; vestiges of string courses. Paired windows in gabled bay over Brodie's Close. Paired, steeply pedimented timber dormers to attic. Entrance to former bake-house below street level to right within pend. Studded timber boarded door with decorative wrought-iron hinges and moulded cornice above to tunpike stair (entrance to 3-storey block to SW) in light-well between pends. SW block (between Brodie's and Fisher's Closes and extending over S pend): crowstepped gables and corniced end stacks; wallhead stack in re-entrant angle; swept dormers breaking eaves; semicircular turret stair corbelled out over Fisher's Close to W. Low 2-storey piend-roofed block to SE of pend.

INTERIOR: 17th century plasterwork ceilings to Celtic Lodge (former Roman Eagle Hall, not seen 2001).

Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Red pantiles to roof. Rubble end stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

Plaster ceilings in Brodie's Close illustrated in RCAHMS Inventory. Associated with the notorious William Brodie, cabinet maker, Deacon, Town Councillor and burglar, executed in 1788. Sebastian Pryke's article discusses the work of William's father, Francis Brodie, who had his wareroom and workshops in the Close. Dean of Guild drawings show alterations by James Jerdan for Patrick Geddes' Town and Gown Association, to take off the roof of the left tenement, raise it by a storey, replacing the roof and building the jerkin-headed gable.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild 31st March 1898. Grant OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH (1885) pp 112-114. RCAHMS INVENTORY EDINBURGH (1951) No 19 pp 84-85. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) pp 200-201. ASPECTS OF SCOTTISH CLASSICISM (St Andrews Studies in the History of Scottish Architecture and design) (1988) FRANCIS BRODIE: A PALLADIAN FURNITURE MAKER IN SCOTLAND? Pryke, Sebastian.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 302-310 (EVEN NOS) LAWNMARKET, INCLUDING BUCHANAN'S CLOSE AND BRODIE'S CLOSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 22:46