Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

Milne’s Court, Including Edward Salveson Hall and Philip Heinman Hall, 513-521 (Odd Numbers) Lawnmarket, EdinburghLB29237

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
14/12/1970
Last Date Amended
17/07/2015
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25514 73563
Coordinates
325514, 673563

Description

Robert Mylne, 1690, incorporating earlier fabric, with later alterations and additions; partially restored, J A Williamson, 1914; reconstructed Ian G Lindsay and Partners, 1966-70. 3 blocks of tenements built round 3 sides of square; 6 storeys and attic to Lawnmarket (shops to ground floor) and to E; 6 storeys attic and basement to N. Ashlar to Lawnmarket, remainder rubble with ashlar dressings.

S BLOCK (FACING LAWNMARKET), INCLUDING PHILIP HENMAN HALL); 6-storey 12-bay tenement with shops and public house to ground floor. Regularly fenestrated (small narrow windows to outer right and left). 10 (modern) swept dormers to attic. Rusticated and pedimented flat-arched pend (triglyphs to entablature) dated 1690, (entrance to Milne s Court) in 5th bay from left. Asymmetrical crowstepped wallhead gable with chimney stack and 2 vertically arranged windows breaking eaves to rear. Stone steps with bell-cast cast-iron railings to raised door (metal grille) in corniced moulded surround to Philip Henman Hall.

E BLOCK: 5-storeys, basement and attic. 5 bays to right (see Notes) regularly fenestrated (small windows between 1st and 2nd bays to right); door to outer right; brick built to rear (facing James Court). Slightly taller 4-bay block to left, with piend-roofed engaged octagonal stair-tower in 2nd bay from left; studded timber boarded door in corniced bolection-moulded surround; pedimented rear elevation to James Court regularly fenestrated. Cast-iron railings to basement area. 6 slated piend-roofed dormers to attic.

N (REAR) BLOCK (EDWARD SALVESON HALL): 5 storeys, basement and attic (7 storeys and attic to rear), 7-bays. Regularly fenestrated (small windows between 3rd and 4th bays from right). 7 (modern) 8 piend-roofed dormers to attic. Arched pend (leading to Mound) to basement level at outer right. Stone steps and platt over-arching basement area to studded timber boarded door in bolection-moulded surround with flat ogee-arch, flanked by steps leading down to basement. Cast-iron railings to basement area. Truncated single bay gabled section to SW. 5-bay crowstepped gable to W: regularly fenestrated, broad gablehead stack. Regularly fenestrated to roof line to rear; broad gablehead stacks to outer right and left; 3 tall crowstep-gabled dormerheaded windows to centre.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; small windows with leaded lights above, panelled shutters above and below. Grey slates. Stone skews with scrolled skewputts. Tall corniced rubble end, wallhead and ridge stacks with circular cans.

Statement of Special Interest

Milne s Court is the earliest remaining example in Edinburgh of an open court with buildings grouped round it, replacing the former pattern of tenements separated by narrow closes. (Milne s Square (1684-8) which formerly stood in the High Street opposite the Tron Church, was demolished in 1890 to allow for the widening of the North Bridge).

Robert Mylne bought up the old tenements and closes fronting the Lawnmarket, demolished those to S and centre, forming the square; in 1690 he built the S block. The N block may also be by Milne. A sketch from Mylne s diary (copy, NMRS) shows the form of the pedimented entrance to the Court. The W side of the square was made up of earlier houses, including Somerville s Land, Comiston s Lodging, and part of the Palace of Mary of Guise, all demolished in 1883 by the Free Church to make way for the new Assembly Hall.

The earlier 17th century E block was almost entirely reconstructed in the 1960 s, part of the original structure having been taken down after a fire in 1912. Only the base of the engaged octagonal stair tower and its turnpike stair is original; the 5 bays to S were entirely rebuilt. The S block was partially restored by J A Williamson in 1914 for Edinburgh City Corporation. The N block was acquired by the University of Edinburgh from the Free Church in 1960, the S block gifted to the University by the City Corporation in 1962.

Restoration/reconstruction in 1966-70 by Ian Lindsay and Partners as 2 Halls of Residence for the University (funded partly through gifts from Captain Harold Salveson and Philip Henman) included reinforced concrete floors, replacing roofs and rebuilding chimneys, new dormers to N and E, additional dormers to S, installation of fire-escapes and the pitch-roofed lift tower on the W gable of the S block. The small windows with leaded lights and timber panelled shutters belong to this period.

Statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as, 513-521 (odd nos) Lawnmarket, Milne's Court, including Edward Salveson Hall and Philip Henman Hall'.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 258237

NMRS EDD/125/3.

Bruce J Home, Old Houses in Edinburgh, (circa 1900).

RCAHMS Inventory, Edinburgh (1951) No16 p73.

Pinkerton and Windram, Mylne S Court (1983).

Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, Edinburgh (1984) p 194.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

Southeast elevation, Milne’s Court, Including Edward Salveson Hall and Philip Heinman Hall, 513-521 (Odd Numbers) Lawnmarket, Edinburgh
Southeast elevation, Milne’s Court, Including Edward Salveson Hall and Philip Heinman Hall, 513-521 (Odd Numbers) Lawnmarket, Edinburgh

Printed: 18/10/2019 22:40