Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

475-479 (ODD NOS) LAWNMARKETLB29232

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
13/08/1987
Supplementary Information Updated
15/10/2001
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25556 73584
Coordinates
325556, 673584

Description

Peter Henderson, 1890, incorporating 17th century fabric. Narrow 4-storey 3-bay tenement with 17th century Scots detailing and shop to ground floor. Coursed bull-faced sandstone with red sandstone dressings. Roll-moulded surrounds to openings. Moulded string course between ground and 1st floors, stepping up over plaque to right (see notes); moulded corbel course between 2nd and 3rd floors. Earlier narrow stone forestair with cast-iron railings (access to 1st floor flats) below corbelled angle to outer right and flat-arched pend (entrance to Lady Stair's Close). Narrow window (lighting stair) to right, and narrow steeply gabled dormerheaded window above. Decorative crowstepped gable to 2 bays to left (narrower windows to right).

N (REAR) ELEVATION: round-arched pend to left, with single windows at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors above. Flat-roofed 3-storey rubble-built block adjoining (see Notes) to right; broad wallhead stack above.

Plate glass in timber sash and case windows; modern glazing to shop.

Statement of Special Interest

The previous building on this site is illustrated by Grant. The 3-storey rubble-built flat-roofed block to rear forms part of Gladstone's Land (separately listed). The plaque over the pend reads, 'In a house on the E side of this close Robert Burns lived during his first visit to Edinburgh, 1786.'

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild 24th April 1890. Grant OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH (1885) ill p109. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 196.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 475-479 (ODD NOS) LAWNMARKET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 22:23