Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

435 LAWNMARKET, INCLUDING DEACON BRODIE'S TAVERN AND PART OF 451 LAWNMARKET TO REARLB29227

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25595 73600
Coordinates
325595, 673600

Description

Early 18th century with alterations at ground and 1st floors to form public house, PL Henderson, 1894; alterations Robert Hurd, 1950 (see Notes). 5-storey (6 storeys to rear) and attic 5-bay tenement with 4-bay wing to rear (elevations to Bank Street and Wardrop's Court). Random rubble with ashlar dressings.

S (LAWNMARKET) ELEVATION: arcade of 3 moulded round-arched openings to ground floor, flanked by decorative mouldings; studded timber boarded 2-leaf door with wrought-iron hinges and fanlight over to centre, flanked by windows; continuous dentilled cornice; paired fluted pilasters to corners. Biparitite window to centre at 1st floor, flanked by tripartite windows, separated by pilasters. Regularly fenestrated above. 2-window gabled finialled wallhead dormer to attic.

E (BANK STREET) ELEVATION: gable end (2 small windows at upper level) and 4 recessed bays (regularly fenestrated, 3 small windows to attic) with public house built out in front.

W (WARDROP'S COURT) ELEVATION: segmental-arched entrances to cellarage to left and right. Central stone stair with cast-iron railings, dividing to left and right, to open landing; doors to flats at right and left; paired windows to right and left at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors above; 2 dormerheaded windows to attic breaking eaves.

PUBLIC HOUSE INTERIOR: compartmented ceiling with painted plasterwork roses and thistles. Mirrored timber gantry and pilastered timber bar. Stained glass window with Gaelic motto to stair.

12-pane glazing with timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Stone skews. Corniced rubble end and gablehead stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for Andrew Paterson and John Henderson, wrights. The E elevation formed the W side of Middle Baxter's Close, the E side being demolished in 1798 to make way for Bank Street. The Dean of Guild drawings show internal alterations and design of frontage to form public house. The stair to E of the rear wing belongs to Robert Hurd's alterations of 1950.

Statutory address updated 2009.

No. 451 Lawnmarket is included in this listing but also in 437-449 Lawnmarket and 17-20 Bank Street as parts of the building are included in the rear of all three.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild 18th October 1894. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 197.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 435 LAWNMARKET, INCLUDING DEACON BRODIE'S TAVERN AND PART OF 451 LAWNMARKET TO REAR

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 22:28