Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

17, 19 AND 19A HILL STREET, EDINBURGH LODGE NO 1LB29081

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
03/03/1966
Supplementary Information Updated
28/03/1996
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24992 74037
Coordinates
324992, 674037

Description

George Angus, 1825-8; internal alterations circa 1900. Symmetrical 3-storey and attic, 5-bay classical Masonic lodge incorporating separate offices at ground and 1st floor. Polished cream sandstone ashlar. Base course, cornice and solid parapet. Fluted Ionic columned doorpiece at centre, with 2-leaf panelled oak doors and boot scraper; flanked by pair of segmentally arched tripartite doorpieces with Roman Doric pilasters and panelled doors. Inner bays at 1st floor with tripartite windows. Masonic pentagon incised above 1st floor window at centre; wrought-iron lamp bracket to right. Later mansard roof with

3 pedimented dormers.

4-storey 7-bay coursed rubble rear elevation with applied metal fire escape.

Timber sash and case 12-pane windows; 10-lying-pane at 1st floor. Ashlar coped skews; stone stacks; grey slates.

INTERIOR: central door leads straight into 2-stage timber stair with turned and blocked banisters to mezzanine and upper floor; former with simple musk enriched plaster ceiling, copied circa 1990 from damaged original, and fine carved neo-classical chimneypiece; latter contains large top-lit Lodge Room flanking doors give access to separate offices; No 19a with internal stair, No 17 single storey (formerly Gentlemen and Ladies Baths).

Statement of Special Interest

Built as a Subscription Baths and Drawing Academy. Mary's Chapel lodge No 1 acquired the premises in 1893. It is now occupied by the Hill Street Masonic Society, an incorporation of several Edinburgh Lodges, including Mary's Chapel. No 17 was formerly the Caretaker's flat, it is now let as an office. No 19a is in separate ownership.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild 10 May 1825. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1988) pp329-330. NMRS. John Mason ?The Edinburgh School of Design? BOOK OF THE OLD EDINBURGH CLUB XXVII 1949.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 17, 19 AND 19A HILL STREET, EDINBURGH LODGE NO 1

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/09/2019 22:55