Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

156-166 (EVEN NOS) HIGH STREETLB29071

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25851 73609
Coordinates
325851, 673609

Description

1825 incorporating earlier fabric (see Notes). 5-storey, 7-bay tenement with distinctive round-arched window treatment to 1st floor right. Pilastered timber shops-fronts to ground. Ashlar (painted at 1st floor). Raised cills. Langley-Gothick doorway at No 156 inscribed 'Mary's Chapel'. Narrow round-arched pend opening to centre leading to Covenant Close. 5 round-arched openings with Y-tracery glazing to 1st floor right alternating in size with balustraded, pilastered and corniced moulding to centre 3 bays. Pair of bi-partite piended dormers to left and pair of single dormers to right.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Scottish slate. Particularly broad brick and ashlar stacks. Clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

No 156-166 is a simple and refined traditional tenement building that contributes significantly to the fine run of tenements situated on the South side of the High Street. Reconstructed after the fire of 1824, this elegant tenement block provides considerable streetscape interest. The round arched 1st floor section is of particular interest. It retains its original glazing and balustrading at cill level and was formerly the High Street Post Office.

The High Street is located at the heart of the Old Town and has World Heritage Site status. Historically the central focus of public, civic and commercial life within the city, the High Street contains many of Edinburgh's most distinguished buildings including St Giles Kirk and Parliament Hall (see separate listings). Its special architectural and historic interest as one of Edinburgh's primary thoroughfares is unparalleled.

List description updated at resurvey (2007/08).

References

Bibliography

John Wood's Map of Edinburgh (1820). 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1859). E J MacRae, The Royal Mile (1962) p41. John Gifford et al, Buildings of Scotland - Edinburgh, (1991) p2. Charles McKean, Edinburgh - An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992) p29.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 156-166 (EVEN NOS) HIGH STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 23:06