Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

343-363 (ODD NOS) HIGH STREET AND 2-8 (EVEN NOS) ADVOCATE'S CLOSELB29050

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25707 73625
Coordinates
325707, 673625

Description

Circa 1735, incorporating earlier fabric and with later alterations, including McMenan and Brown, 1987 (see Notes). 5-storey and attic 10-bay tenement (bays grouped 4:4:2); 2 2-window wallhead gables with apex stacks; shops to ground floor; short 6-storey rubble-built wing to N, bounded by Advocate's Close to W and Roxburgh's Close to E, and adjoining 4-storey wing (see Notes). Rubble with ashlar dressings; rear elevation and 6-storey wing (above ground floor) harled. Relieving arches to openings. Symmetrical tenement to left: 4 bays to either side of depressed-arched pend to Advocate's Close; modern shop fronts; 4 bays to right at 2nd storey altered, with cornice and tall plate glass windows; steep stairs to outer right with cast-iron hand-rail to round-arched entrance to flats with cast-iron gate and grille and modern 2-leaf timber boarded door; circular window above and small windows to stair at 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors. 2-bay tenement to right: modern doorway to left; depressed-arched entrance to pend to Roxburgh's Close to right.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: single bay above segmental-arched pend to Roxburgh Close, with remains of circular stair tower to left. Canted bay linking rear wing. Drum stair tower with conical roof to right of pend to Advocate's Close.

ADVOCATES CLOSE: roll-moulded surrounds to modern timber boarded doors at Nos 2 and 4, with carved dated lintels above (see Notes); corbels above doors; window (former door reached by forestair) to left; upper storeys harled. Rubble wing to N (No 8 Advocate's Close): modern mullioned and transomed windows; interior altered 1980's with timber stair linking floors; vaulted ground floor; 2 splendid 17th century chimneypieces, flanked by clustered colonnettes. Early panelling to upper floors.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Corniced wallhead and ridge stacks with circular cans. Grey slates.

Statement of Special Interest

Nos 343-363 comprise, to left an 8-bay tenement with central wallhead gable and pend to Advocate's Close, and to right the remaining left section of a second twin-gabled tenement, the right-hand section of which was demolished in 1930 to make way for the W extension to the City Chambers. Restoration in 1987 included rebuilding of the attic floor with wallhead gables and swept dormers. Gordon of Rothiemay's 1647 plan of Edinburgh shows the form of these tenements, with twin wallhead gables and steep steps from the street to the entrances to flats. Advocate's Close was named after Sir James Stewart, Lord Advocate, 1692-1713. Nos 2 and 4 were built for Clement Cor (Burgess and Dean of Guild, 1588), possibly incorporating an earlier building ruined during Hertford's raid of 1544; the carved lintels read SPES ALTERA VITAE, with the initials CC (Clement Cor) and HB (Helen Bellenden, his wife), and BLISSIT BE GOD OF AL HIS GIFTIS 1590. The 4-storey rubble tenement (raised from 3 in the 18th century - a monogrammed skewputt shows the original roof-line) to N of Cor's tenement was built for Nicoll Edgar, merchant burgess, circa 1615. 2 drawings in OLD HOUSES IN EDINBURGH show Advocate's Close during demolition for the foundations for the printing office (built in 1882). The E side of the Close (illustrated by Bruce Home) was demolished at this time.

References

Bibliography

Bruce J Home OLD HOUSES IN EDINBURGH (published circa 1910). RCAHMS INVENTORY, EDINBURGH (1951) No 21. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 201-2.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 343-363 (ODD NOS) HIGH STREET AND 2-8 (EVEN NOS) ADVOCATE'S CLOSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 22:39