Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

HIGH STREET, 3 AND 5 OLD FISHMARKET CLOSELB29041

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
13/08/1987
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25819 73568
Coordinates
325819, 673568

Description

Early 19th century. Shallow-plan, 4-storey and basement, 6-bay traditional residential tenement situated on steeply sloping ground with raised, iron-railed forestair and platt at ground floor right. Coursed, squared rubble with ashlar dressings and bands between floors. Small wallhead stack with clay can to centre left. Regular fenestration. Commercial premises to ground floor; painted ashlar with hood-moulded openings. Blind openings to 6th bay.

12-pane timber sash and case windows. Scottish slate. Coped end stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

Nos 3 and 5 Old Fishmarket Close is a good example of a traditional Old Town tenement located on sloping ground behind the S side of the High Street. Its simple rubble treatment and regular fenestration are typical of late Georgian tenement construction. It is particularly notable for its shallow plan-form, a result of an unusually restrictive and narrow site. The ground floor was altered in 1840 to accommodate a forestair. The building possibly incorporates earlier 18th century walling to the rear (E) elevation.

The High Street is located at the heart of the Old Town and is a key component of Edinburgh's World Heritage Site. Historically the central focus of public, civic and commercial and residential life within the city, the High Street contains many of Edinburgh's most distinguished buildings including the St Giles Kirk and Parliament Hall (see separate listings). Its special architectural and historic interest as Edinburgh's primary medieval thoroughfare is outstanding.

List description revised as part of the Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey (2007/08).

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1859). E J MacRae, The Royal Mile (1962). John Gifford et al, Buildings of Scotland - Edinburgh, (1991) p203. Charles McKean, Edinburgh - An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992) p29.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HIGH STREET, 3 AND 5 OLD FISHMARKET CLOSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 22:31