Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

107-119 (ODD NOS) HIGH STREETLB29039

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
13/08/1987
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26010 73693
Coordinates
326010, 673693

Description

Alexander W Macnaughtan, 1902. Asymmetrical 5-storey 8-bay Scots vernacular/Arts and Crafts tenement block, stepped to slope. Original corniced, pilastraded timber shopfronts; 2-storey at outer left and left/centre. Wide wallhead gables, jerkin-headed to left with hooded oculus, crowstepped with gable apex stack to right. Keyblocked round-arched pend (gated) to Morrison's Close with broken pediment and carved thistle over (see Notes); roll-moulded segmental-arched pend (gated) to Bailie Fyfe's Close at outer right with heraldic panel in decorative surround and oculus over (see Notes). Squared and snecked stugged sandstone; polished dressings; irregular corbel course at 2nd floor. Yellow brick with red ashlar cills and lintels to rear. Predominantly single and bipartite irregular fenestration.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: wide segmental pediment to shop at right (modern glazing); quadripartite window above with canted recessed outer bays, fluted pilasters and triangular pediment; that to left with altered public house front at ground; tripartite window above with fluted timber pilasters and canted recessed outer bays (mark of missing segmental pediment still evident). Stone-mullioned 5-light 4th floor window to left gable; triangular and segmental-headed dormers breaking eaves to attic, that to left with timber dormerhead.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: forestair incorporating lintel dated 1572 (see Notes); deck with plain iron railings; second forestair to upper levels at right.

E ELEVATION: stugged sandstone; adjoins 95-105 High Street at ground to 3rd floor.

W ELEVATION: plain rendered; to aerial gap site above 1st and 2nd floors.

Much remaining original sash and case glazing, with 6-pane upper sashes, plate glass lower. Modern plate glass shopfronts at ground. Pitched grey slate roof; crowstepped skews; coped end, apex and ridge stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: part seen 2002. Egg and dart moulded cornice in shops at 109 and 119; original plain chimneypiece and cast-iron range at 1st floor rear E room.

Statement of Special Interest

The westmost wallhead gable of the tenement acknowledges the tall, tenemental form of a typical early 18th century High Street dwelling that, until 1970, adjoined the building to the west. (Photographs of this tenement can be seen in the NMRS collection Refs. ED/5048, ED/5049). Many slums in the Old Town were demolished as a result of the 1867 Improvement Act and the preferred style of rebuilding was the picturesque Scots vernacular or Baronial tradition. During the 1890s this work continued and many of the better-preserved buildings were reconstructed. However, the 'fine old stone land' (Wilson p46) that stood on the site since the early 17th century was lost. A 2nd floor lintel on the present building, dated 1612, recalls this tenement (or is possibly re-cut), has the initials 'IT' and 'IM', those of John Trotter, a wealthy burgess, and his wife Janet McMath, with the Trotter arms in the centre. A second lintel at the same floor level, dated 1902, has the initials 'JS' and 'GS' and cipher between, represents the developers and petitioners J & G Stewart Ltd. The carving in the pediment over Morrison's Close is 17th century in style and may be original. Likewise, the crest over Bailie Fyfe's Close (Gilbert Fyfe owned a property there in the late 17th century) with the initials 'IP' and 'MH' is of similar style and period. The arms of Parley impale those of Hay. At the rear of the building the forestair incorporates a badly crumbling roll-moulded lintel with an inscribed rhyming couplet and date of 1572. This apparently came from the third floor of a tenement that once stood on the east side of the close. The couplet reads: 'Enemeis of God and the King; to the Earth did me doun ding'. The timber 2-storey shopfronts on the present building are of particular note and, although the upper bay to the left is missing its central segmental pediment, the architect's Dean of Guild plans illustrate the original form and those of the entire ground floor frontages.

References

Bibliography

Morrison's Close is marked on William Edgar's City and Castle of Edinburgh map of 1742. Wilson MEMORIALS OF EDINBURGH Vol II (1891) p46. Edinburgh City Archive, Dean of Guild plans dated 23.1.1902. Appears on 1905 OS map. RCAHMS Inventory Edinburgh No 65 (1951). Gifford, McWilliam, Walker BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: EDINBURGH (1984) p84, p205. Glendinning, MacInnes, MacKechnie A HISTORY OF SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE (1996) pp348-356.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 107-119 (ODD NOS) HIGH STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 22:46