Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

44-86 (EVEN NOS) GREAT KING STREET AND 52 AND 54 DUNDAS STREET, INCLUDING RAILINGS AND LAMPS WITH 1, 12, 14 SOUTH WEST CUMBERLAND STREET LANE INCLUDING WALLS AND 2 ST VINCENT STREETLB28965

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
24/05/1966
Supplementary Information Updated
15/01/2018
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25015 74489
Coordinates
325015, 674489

Description

Robert Reid and William Sibbald, 1814-23. 3-storey and basement, 59 bay (9-bay central pavilion, flanked by 18-bay blocks, flanked in turn by 7-bay terminal pavilions) classical palace block terrace, with 3-storey, attic and basement central and terminal pavilions; double main door tenements to central and terminal pavilions, single houses in between. Sandstone ashlar principal elevation, with V-jointed rustication to principal floor, broached ashlar to upper floors, rock faced rustication to basement. Continual cornice, returned and terminated at corners; blocking course to central and terminal pavilions, with wallhead panels at centre; cill course to 1st and 2nd floors. Ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement. Mews in South West Cumberland Street Lane to rear, see below.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION, CENTRAL PAVILION: 9-bay, comprising advanced 3-bay centrepiece with Ionic pilasters between bays at 1st and 2nd floors; bays to outer left and right advanced, flanked by Ionic pilasters at 1st and 2nd floors. Blind balustraded aprons to centrepiece and bays to outer left and right at 1st floor. Windows in round-arched panels at ground. Flush panelled doors flanking central bay, and in bays to outer left and right, with semicircular fanlights, plate glass to centre and left, radial to right. Central and outer windows at 1st floor pedimented with consoles; windows flanking centre corniced with consoles. Balcony spanning 3 bays to outer right, at 1st floor. Semicircular window centred at attic, with some window guards in windows flanking. Flagged basement area, with rubble walls and predominantly vertically board timber doors to cellars.

BLOCKS FLANKING CENTRAL PAVILION: 2 linking blocks of 6 3-bay houses, mirrored to either side of central pavilion. Flush panelled doors with variety of rectangular fanlights; to E of central pavilion with door in bay to left at ground, with door in bay to right of ground, to W of central pavilion; multi-pane glazed timber door at No 58. Regular fenestration to floors above, with some window guards at 2nd floor. Decorative cast-iron balconies in each bay at 1st floor to No 56 and No 60; balcony spanning 3 bays at 1st floor to No 58. Flagged basement area with predominantly vertically boarded timber doors to cellars. Small glazed modern dormers to No 58.

TERMINAL PAVILIONS: 7-bay near-mirrored pair of pavilions, each comprising 3-bay centrepiece with Ionic pilasters dividing bays at 1st and 2nd floors; blind balustraded aprons at 1st floor; windows pedimented with consoles in centre bay in 1st floor, corniced with consoles in flanking bays; flush panelled doors with plate glass and radial semicircular fanlights; Ionic pilasters flanking central 3 bays at 1st and 2nd floors. Terminal pavilion to left comprising common stair door centred at principal floor, flanked by doors in bays to left and right. Regular fenestration, with painted blind windows in penultimate bays to left, and in bay to left of semicircular window centred at attic. Terminal pavilion to right comprising common stair door centred at principal floor, flanked by doors to left and right.

ST VINCENT STREET RETURN TO W TERMINAL PAVILION: 6-bay block, becoming 2 and 2A St Vincent Street.

DUNDAS STREET RETURN TO E TERMINAL PAVILION: 6-bay block, becoming 52 and 54 Dundas Street (formerly 2 and 2A Pitt Street); comprising regular fenestration, with blind windows in penultimate bays to left and outer left bays, and in 3rd bay from right at 3rd floor and attic. Shop front at basement, with modern glazed door/gun stock door in 3rd bay from right. Wallhead stack to left of centre.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows, with some plate glass and 4-pane. Grey slate M-roof. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Predominantly broached ashlar stacks including several restored stacks, some rendered; coped with circular cans. Ashlar skew copes.

INTERIORS: not seen (1997), but working panel shutters evident.

RAILINGS AND LAMPS: ashlar copes surmounted by cast-iron railings with spear-headed balusters and urn finials. Cast-iron railing-mounted lamps with glass globes.

MEWS:

SOUTH WEST CUMBERLAND STREET LANE: earlier 19th century. Predominantly 2-storey 3-bay mews buildings. Coursed rubble, with stone lintels, long and short quoins.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION, NO 1: comprising pair of modern garage doors, and door to right, at ground; plate glass casement windows at 1st floor. Much altered rendered mews building adjoining to right.

NO 12: 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber garage doors in former cart opening to right at ground; modern glazed door to left at ground; single window to left of centre at 1st floor.

NO 14: vertically-boarded timber door with plate glass fanlight to left of centre at ground; window to left, converted window in former carriage opening, with relieving arch still visible, to right at ground; single window to left of centre at 1st floor.

WALLS: coped random rubble walls, with boarded doors in pedestrian gates; carriage gates between Nos 12 and 14.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Ashlar and rendered gablehead stacks; coped, with circular cans. Coped skews.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Second New Town A Group 44-86 Great King Street makes up one quarter of the four near-identical palace blocks of the Second New Town's central avenue; a significant part of the one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. Great King Street, feued by the Heriot Trust, was part of the first extension of the New Town planned by Reid and Sibbald. It was advertised to feu in 1810; some feus had been taken by 1812, but late in 1813 the roadway was still not made. Building finally started in 1817. Sir William Hamilton spent his last years at No 16; Sir William Allan RA lived at No 72; William Henry Playfair lived at No 63; Rev Edward Irving lived at No 60.

This imposing street would have appeared even more dramatic when the trees at either end were young enough for the view to extend to include London Street to the east and Royal Circus to the west.

References

Bibliography

Youngson, THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH (1966), pp206, 208-10, 212-13; Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH (1984), pp346-7; McKean, EDINBURGH (1992), p112; MacRae Heritors 38; Register of Sasines.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 44-86 (EVEN NOS) GREAT KING STREET AND 52 AND 54 DUNDAS STREET, INCLUDING RAILINGS AND LAMPS WITH 1, 12, 14 SOUTH WEST CUMBERLAND STREET LANE INCLUDING WALLS AND 2 ST VINCENT STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/11/2018 21:00