Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 25069 73932
325069, 673932


Built by Claud Cleghorn, 1786-8; reconstructed and united by Rowand Anderson, Kininmonth & Paul, 1971-3. Former 3-storey basement and attic, 7-bay pair of houses with flats above; now single office. Droved cream sandstone ashlar (stonecleaned). Slightly recessed centre bay (formerly common stair, door replaced by window at ground); 3 left bays reinstated at ground, as windows. 3 right bays broader; inner bay with Ionic columned doorpiece set in segmental arch with modern timber radiating fanlight, 2-leaf panelled door; model lighthouse at 1st floor window. Mutuled eaves cornice. 4 matching pilastered tripartite box dormers.

Modern extended rear elevation to E; original rubble to W, with full-height bow.

Timber sash and case 12-pane windows; grey slates.

INTERIOR: elegant internal timber porch leads to broad cross-vaulted Entrance Hall with Ionic columned screen to left (formerly lead to stair); plaster swags contain, on S wall painting of lighthouse, on W wall plaster tableau. Double bow-ended room on axis (former Dining Room) with fluted Ionic Screen; former Drawing Room at front with fine neo-classical carved and gesso chimneypiece; room to SW subdivided but with similar chimneypiece remaining. Relatively plain 1st floor and 2nd floors, latter with former Dining Room of flat to SW with fluted pilastered sideboard recess and further fine carved and gesso chimneypiece. Good quality modern offices to E with brick and stone stair enclosing lift.

RAILINGS: modern cast-iron railings.

Statement of Special Interest

Now the home of the Northern Lighthouse Board, from where all Scotland's lighthouses are controlled and monitored. The Board was founded in 1786, and moved to 84 George Street in 1832. It is not clear whether this house was built with a stair to the 1st floor, or acquired one; the number of fine rooms on the ground floor suggest the latter situation. The Lighthouse Board acquired No 82 from the Co-op in 1967; there was formerly a shopfront but in 1971 the 4 E bays were totally demolished and the facade re-erected with the shop expunged. This modern block is fully linked with No 84, and provides its stair and boardroom. It extends to the rear as an L-plan, enclosing top-lit basement workshops, with access to Rose Street North Lane. Listed at Category A as a significant surviving part of the original fabric of Edinburgh's New Town, one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. A Group with Nos 30-60 (even nos) George Street.



Ainslie's Map of 1780. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1988) pp304-5. A J Youngson THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH (1966) pp91-3. RCAHMS INVENTORY fig 388.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 84 GEORGE STREET, NORTHERN LIGHTHOUSE BOARD, WITH RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/01/2022 20:07