Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

26 GEORGE STREET AND 53 AND 55 HANOVER STREETLB28865

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
13/01/1966
Supplementary Information Updated
28/03/1996
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25365 74014
Coordinates
325365, 674014

Description

J M Dick Peddie, 1908-9. 3-storey attic and basement Renaissance commercial office on corner site. Polished Portland stone, with granite base course. Channelled rustication and voussoirs at ground, giant order Ionic columns to 1st and 2nd floors with balustrades between bases; modillioned cornice and balustraded parapet; 1st floor windows with lugged architraves and cornices; 2nd floor windows with bracketed and draped cills, and husks at head. 3-bay recessed drum corner with consoled copper dome supporting bronze statue of Prudence by Penny Portsmouth.

HANOVER STREET ELEVATION: 5-bay. Doors to outer bays; that to left architraved and corniced with carved crest above.

GEORGE STREET ELEVATION: 3-bay. Architraved doorcase at centre with consoled open pediment containing carved crest; 2-leaf panelled doors.

Plate glass casement windows. Corniced ashlar stacks. 2 large vertical flagpoles on roof; grey slates.

INTERIOR: hall with Roman Doric columns of Pavanazzo marble with elided entablatures; stair with heavy balusters and panelled corridor to 1st floor boardroom with Adam revival ceiling, fine late 18th century marble chimneypiece, perhaps from original house on site, and panels of Utrecht velvet.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for the Edinburgh Life Assurance Company, who moved from their premises next door at 22-24 George Street. The velvet is from the company's old office next door.

References

Bibliography

QJRIAS 1922 no 4. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1988) p301.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 26 GEORGE STREET AND 53 AND 55 HANOVER STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/07/2019 14:36