Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

43 GEORGE STREETLB28835

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
13/01/1966
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25259 74054
Coordinates
325259, 674054

Description

Circa 1775; refaced and extra storey added by Thomas Hamilton, 1829; alterations at ground 1872, and subsequently by A W MacNaughton, 1897. 4-storey and attic 3-bay classical former house. Polished cream sandstone ashlar. Built out at ground with pedimented fluted Corinthian porch to left and single to right supporting entablature with solid parapet; 4-bay pilastered arcade set behind, with 3-bay shop and entrance to upper floors. At 1st floor, single broad pedimented canted window with Roman Doric columns and tripartite window at centre; 2nd floor windows with moulded cill course and architraves; dentilled cornice above; 3rd floor with windows set in square recesses, with further cornice and blocking course. Pair of timber box dormers; bipartite to left, tripartite to right.

3-storey and raised basement 3-bay coursed rubble elevation to lane.

Plate glass timber sash and case windows. Ashlar coped skews; corniced stone stacks; grey slates. Very fine wrought-iron lamp bracket to door.

INTERIOR: top-lit saloon to rear.

Statement of Special Interest

Rebuilt as part of a unified scheme for Nos 43-45 (subsequently apparently extended to Nos 39-41, with which it shares the 2nd and 3rd floor detailing) by Thomas Hamilton, at which time Nos 43-5 were both given an Ionic colonnade at ground for William Blackwood, Bookseller and T & J Blackwood, Silk mercer; it was later replaced at No 43 (the silk mercers). A central pediment for both houses was planned, but may not have been built. Part of the original fabric of Edinburgh?s New Town, one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. A Group with Nos 33-63 (odd nos) George Street.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild 30 July 1829, 4 March 1847. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1988) p301-2. A J Youngson THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH (1966) pp91-3. J Rock THOMAS HAMILTON ARCHITECT 1784-1858 (1984) pp49-50.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 43 GEORGE STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/11/2022 20:16