Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

1-4 (INCLUSIVE NOS) FORREST HILLLB28771

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
08/05/1975
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25674 73210
Coordinates
325674, 673210

Description

Samuel Neilson (mason), William McVey and James Heriot (wrights), 1739-43, with later alterations and additions (see Notes). 4-storey and attic L-plan tenement with crowstepped gable, remnant of former Edinburgh Charity Work House. Harled rubble; ashlar margins to both doors and windows except on gable.

S ELEVATION: 5-bay wing to right: boarded timber door with 3-pane fanlight up steps with cast-iron railings; 3 windows lighting stair above. Remainder regularly fenestrated; slate-hung dormers to attic. Gable-end to left (formerly junction to demolished main block): boarded timber door with 8-pane fanlight in chamfered ashlar surround to centre; single windows above.

E ELEVATION: 2-bays, regularly fenestrated; slated dormers to attic above.

W ELEVATION: 2 bays, regularly fenestrated; gablehead chimney with window to attic in gable to left. Abuts single bay return to N.

N ELEVATION: 3-storey and attic; harled; 3-bays to right, mansard roof; regularly fenestrated. 5 bays to left: regularly fenestrated; stone-mullioned bipartites to centre bay; slated dormers to attic.

Grey slates. Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Corniced harled gablehead chimneys with circular cans.

Statement of Special Interest

Incorporates the remains of the N wing and 2 bays of the main block of the U-plan Charity Workhouse, demolished circa 1870. The Charity Workhouse appears complete on the 1854 OS map, and with only the N section remaining on the 1877 map, the remainder having been replaced by the Volunteer Drill Hall. Dean of Guild drawings by John Hay show the Charity Workhouse and the alterations being made.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild 3 March 1871. Charity Workhouse illustrated in J and HS Storer, VIEWS IN EDINBURGH AND ITS VICINITY (1820) p29. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 733.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1-4 (INCLUSIVE NOS) FORREST HILL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/01/2022 03:49