Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

4 DUBLIN STREET, INCLUDING RAILINGSLB28688

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - See notes
Date Added
18/08/1964
Supplementary Information Updated
26/03/1998
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25578 74302
Coordinates
325578, 674302

Description

Robert Reid and William Sibbald, early 19th century. 3-storey, attic and basement, 4-bay terraced tenement, 3-bay to S. Ashlar sandstone; V-jointed rustication at principal floor. Band courses between basement and principal floor, principal floor and 1st floor; projecting cills to E elevation at 1st and 2nd floors and attic; dentilled cornice and blocking course to S elevation. Ionic pilasters between bays at 1st and 2nd floor of S elevation. Architraved windows with cornices to left and right at 1st floor.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4-bay gable, comprising 2-bay pilastered and corniced former shop front to right at basement, with 4-panel timber door, plate glass rectangular fanlight, to left, window to right; window to centre right at basement; regular fenestration to floors above, with pair of windows at attic.

S (QUEEN STREET) ELEVATION: 3 windows to outer right at basement, with slightly advanced stepped cornice, Venetian window to outer right at principal floor; regular fenestration to floors above, with window in round-arched recess centred at 1st floor. Single storey and basement linking block advanced to left at principal floor, adjoining 4 Dublin Street to York Buildings (see separate listing).

N ELEVATION: adjoining terrace, see separate listing (6-10A Dublin Street).

Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof, roof lights to S. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Ashlar stack breaking pitch to S, ashlar gablehead stacks; coped, with circular cans.

INTERIORS: not seen, 1997.

RAILINGS: ashlar copes surmounted by cast-iron railings with spear-headed balusters and urn finials.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Second New Town A Group, representing a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban panning in Britain. 4 Dublin Street was formerly 4 Duke Street. Duke Street was feued by the Magistrates in 1799. Building began in 1801. It was continued northwards by Reid and Sibbald as Dublin Street in 1802 as part of their plan for the extension of the New Town. Building began in 1803. In 1966 Duke Street was renamed as Dublin Street but retained its old numbers, while the original Dublin Street was renumbered.

References

Bibliography

Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH (1984), p344; MacRae Heritors 38; Register of Sasines.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 4 DUBLIN STREET, INCLUDING RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/07/2022 22:17