Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

3 AND 4 CASTLE TERRACE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGSLB28481

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24792 73502
Coordinates
324792, 673502

Description

Circa 1831. 3-storey, attic and basement 6-bay classical quadrant tenement block (modern shop built out over basement area to No 3). Cream ashlar, channelled at ground. Dividing bands between basement and ground and between ground and 1st floors; moulded eaves cornice. Cill course and moulded and corniced architraves to 1st floor windows; moulded surrounds to 2nd. Stone steps and platts over-arching basement area; timber panelled doors with plate glass fanlights in 1st and 4th bays from left. Slate-hung dormers with tripartite windows to attic.

8-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced stacks with circular cans.

BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: spear-headed cast-iron railings on low ashlar boundary wall.

Statement of Special Interest

Built on the glebe of St Cuthbert's Church. William Burn produced a feuing plan for the Grindlay Estate in 1825, taking in the glebe. The plan of this area more or less as built appears on Wood's 1820 map of Edinburgh. Thomas Hamilton produced elevations for Castle Terrace in 1825, Burn in 1826. The original design may have been intended to mirror the pavilion at Nos 1 and 2 Castle Terrace, with the quadrant block of Nos 3 and 4 continued as a straight block between. However Bryce's St Mark's Unitarian Church, built in 1834, intervened. The roadway, altered to take account of the new Western Approach, was laid in 1831.

References

Bibliography

Appears on Kay's 1836 plan of Edinburgh. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 263.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 3 AND 4 CASTLE TERRACE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/08/2022 15:01