Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

50-54 (EVEN NOS) CANDLEMAKER ROWLB28420

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25658 73327
Coordinates
325658, 673327

Description

Early 18th century. Reconstructed Ebenezer J McRae 1930 (and restored Simpson and Brown 1978). 3-storey 5-bay tenement with shops at ground floor. Random rubble with ashlar dressings. Bays at (painted) ground floor divided by pilasters with continuous fascia and cornice. Shop window to outer right; 2 narrow doors with 2-pane fanlights in 2nd and 3rd from right. Window and timber panelled door to shop in 1st and 2nd from left. Broad splayed rubble wallhead stacks between 1st and 2nd bays from right and left. Piend-roofed dormerheaded windows breaking eaves to rear; broad splayed wallhead stack to left.

Small-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Stone skews. Broad splayed corniced wallhead stacks with circular cans to front and rear.

Statement of Special Interest

B group comprises Nos 1-5 Forrest Road, 1-3 Greyfriars Place, 4-6 Greyfriars Place, 30-34 Candlemaker Row (Greyfriars Bobby's Bar, 36-42 Candlemaker Row (including Candlemaker Hall), 44 Candlemaker Row, 46-48 Candlemaker Row, 50-54 Candlemaker Row, 56 and 56A Candlemaker Row and 58-64 Candlemaker Row. Rear elevations of group form eastern boundary of Greyfriars churchyard, setting for an important group of mural monuments.

References

Bibliography

Appears on Edgar's 1742 map of Edinburgh. RCAHMS INVENTORY EDINBURGH (1951) No 55 p110. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p222.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 50-54 (EVEN NOS) CANDLEMAKER ROW

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 09:25