Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

17-21 (ODD NOS) BLACKFRIARS STREET (FORMER UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH)LB28323

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
10/04/1986
Supplementary Information Updated
03/02/1992
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26051 73627
Coordinates
326051, 673627

Description

Robert Morham. Dated 1871. Unusual, freestyle, double-gabled church with diminutive 4-stage square-plan belfry tower. Coursed, rock-face ashlar with stugged dressings. Narrow entrance bay to left with recessed timber door with pointed gablehead with lettering 'BLACKFRIARS STREET 1871'. Small windows at upper storeys rising to 2-stage belfry with nook shafts to angles and louvred openings. Pair of tall and narrow identical gabled bays to right, each with pointed-arch double-leaf timber doors with moulded architraves. Tall, bipartite lancet windows above with small rose window to centre. Paired gable configuration mirrored at rear elevation with further, smaller bay to right.

Steeply pitched roof with continous glazed rooflights to ridge. Predominently multi-pane glazing to timber astragalled fixed-pane windows. Broad end stack to S gable. Clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

The former United Presbyterian Church at Nos 17-21 Blackfriars Street is an unusual composition. The church responds sympathetically to it tall narrow site, integrating with its neighbours and maintaining uniformity throughout the planned run to the East side of Blackfriars Street. The diminutive tower is particularly unusual and despite the challenges of the site, the architects involved have achieved a balanced and carefully proportioned building. It was built by Robert Morham, the former principal assistant to David Cousin, probably following a design by Cousin and Lessels.

Under the 1867 Improvement Act, David Cousin and Robert Lessels, two of the most accomplished architects of their generation, outlined plans for Blackfriars Street, St Mary Street, Jeffrey Street and Chambers Street. The architectural style employed 'reflects a transition from pure Italian Renaissance to a mid Victorian freestyle also evident in their later bank-houses' (Dictionary of Scottish Architects).

Formerly known as Blackfriars Wynd, the E side was demolished in 1867 under the Improvement Act, the roadway widened and subsequently renamed Blackfriars Street as part of the first wave of sanitary improvements within the Old Town. Throughout the 19th Century the Old Town's prosperity declined as large sections of the nobility and middle classes moved out of the area in favour of the grandeur and improved facilities of Edinburgh's New Town. The Improvement Act of 1867 made efforts to address this, responding early on with large-scale slum clearance and redevelopment of entire street frontages. The former United Presbyterian Church is currently not in use (2007).

Part of B-Group comprising 1-67 (Odd Nos) Blackfriars Street (see separate listings). Category changed from C(S) to B (1992). List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward Resurvey (2007/08).

References

Bibliography

John Gifford et al, Buildings of Scotland - Edinburgh, (1991) p220; E. Patricia Dennison, Holyrood and Canongate - A Thousand Years of History, (2005) p.150; Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 10.05.2007)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 17-21 (ODD NOS) BLACKFRIARS STREET (FORMER UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 21:34