Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

HIGH STREET, CITY CHAMBERS COURTYARD, ALEXANDER AND BUCEPHALUS STATUELB27855

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - See Notes
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25768 73647
Coordinates
325768, 673647

Description

Sir John Steell, modelled 1832 (cast 1883). Bronze statue on corniced, bow-ended ashlar plinth; draped pedestrian figure of Alexander with rearing, unharnessed horse.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of an 'A' Group with Nos 2-11 Parliament Square, Advocates Library, Signet Library, Parliament Hall, 1 Parliament Square, St Giles High Kirk, Charles II Statue, Lothian Chambers, City Chambers, Alexander and Bucephalus Statue, Queensberry Memorial and Market Cross.

The clay model of the group was exhibited in Edinburgh and in London, where it attracted the attention of Sir Francis Chantrey. The Board of Trustees gave Steell £40 to have the group cut in stone, in order to encourage the use of native stone, and to encourage the work of skilled artisans. Steell visited Rome in 1829, and the influence of both the Castor and Pollux in the Quirinale, and of Thorwaldsen's Alexander frieze in the Palazzo Quirinale can be seen. Steell built the 1st bronze foundry in Scotland in order to cast his statue of the Duke of Wellington in 1840. Alexander and Bucephalus was presented to the city by subscribers in 1884 and moved from St Andrew Square to its present site in 1916.

References

Bibliography

SRO Board of Trustees minutes NG1/1.36. ART JOURNAL 1882 p348. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 178. Fiona Pearson (ed) VIRTUE AND VISION: SCULPTURE AND SCOTLAND 1540-1990 (1991) p 74.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HIGH STREET, CITY CHAMBERS COURTYARD, ALEXANDER AND BUCEPHALUS STATUE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 21:58