Thomas Hamilton, 1843-5; library block added and hall extended by
David Bryce, 1864; New Library by David and John Bryce, 1876-7; conference centre and lecture theatre to rear by Baron Bercott Associates, 1984 principal rooms refurbished by Ben Tindall, 1994.
Monumental neo-classical college building set slightly forward from terraced street, with Tower-of-the-Winds centrepiece; 2-storey in place of standard 3, with further blind attic, 3 broad bays. Symmetrical facade of polished cream sandstone ashlar (cleaned); lugged moulded architraves. Base course; dentilled cornice above ground with blocking/cill course to 1st floor; anthemion and palmette frieze above 2nd floor; heavy overhanging modillioned cornice with small lion masks and blocking course. At centre ground, corniced tetrastyle portico on plinth; fluted columns with stylised acanthus and lotus leaf capitals; full entablature continuing line of cornice; steps rise through plinth between displaced central columns to 2-leaf bronzed panelled doors with large square etched glass fanlight with College crest set in diamond panel; to either side plain pilasters flank Physicians? emblem of staff encircled by snake; blocking course supports pair of statues (Aesculapius and Hippocrates) and central distyle portico with fluted Corinthian columns and modillioned pediment surmounted by statue of Hygeia, Goddess of Health. Flanking windows at ground with scrolled consoles and cornices; at 1st floor with consoled cornices. Attic with pair of framed panels bearing griffons.
Timber casement windows, 6- and 8-pane. Piended roofs with grey slates and some flat copper roofing; mutual stacks, rubble and rendered. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwaterheads.
INTERIOR: Lobby flanked by niches with plaster statues, Minton pavement bearing crest, cast-iron lamps. Steps to oak 2-leaf etched glass doors to Staircase Hall; bordered grey marble pavement; stone Imperial stair with return flights and landing supported on 4 fluted columns with stylised partly gilt acanthus capitals (walls with corresponding pilasters); bronzed 10-panel doors with marbled corniced architraves; compartmentalised ceiling with modillioned cornices. At front, to E Editor?s Room, to W Vice-President?s (former President?s) Room, with oak and walnut bookcases respectively; (by William Trotter & Co) and black slate chimneypieces; latter with overmantel and cornice. Stair flanked by cylindrical pedestals bearing bronze urns and putti (added 1854), with gilded scrolling cast-iron balustrade incorporating crests at landings; spectacular wrought-iron lamps; oak hand rails, new carpet (based on original) with brass stair rods; stair ceiling with engraved Indian red glass (by Chance Brothers). At 1st landing 2-leaf door with consoled pediment to Hall, flanked by niches with marble busts on pedestals; mace to right. Whole painted in faux ashlar (originally marbled). Top-lit Hall in form of Roman basilica with attic storey, glazed cove (glass engraved by David Smith) and elaborate compartmented ceiling with gilded vine leaves; modern chandelier at centre; Sienna marbled timber columns with gilded Corinthian capitals; now 7 bays deep by 5 bays wide, formerly only 3 bays deep, Bryce repeating Hamilton?s scheme and adding his own ceiling (modelled by James Anderson); full Greek entablature, recently marbled; attic with caryatids flanking portrait reliefs of great physicians (originals by Lazzaroni, additions by George McCallum and Brucciani); coffered aisles with decorative ceiling panels; dado; cast-iron radiator covers with marble tops supporting busts; side and far walls with similar bookcases, veined black marble chimneypieces to sides; far end with dais and ceremonial chairs. E door at 1st landing to curved panelled corridor leading to New Library, and with later access to No 8. Main landing with doorway echoing that to Hall to Old Library with Reading Room off, with compartmented ceilings, veined grey marble chimneypieces and original furniture. Spiral stair to upper floor with model of Craig?s College on mezzanine level; further top-lit Upper Library with gallery and brass and glass balustrade (bookcases by J Inch Morrison). New Library built over garden of No 8, and incorporating on outer N wall carved stone roundel from old College; parquet floor; 5 bays of projecting stall bookcases (Whytock and Reid) supporting gallery with cast-iron balustrade; spiral stairs at opposite corners; veined black marble chimneypieces to end walls; modillioned cornice and segmental ceiling with 8 linked coffers containing engraved glass, remaining panels filled with scrolled foliate plasterwork (by James Annan); original furniture and brass chandeliers remain, decorative scheme restored 1994. Basements with kitchen (cast-iron columns) below Hall, service rooms and extensive book storage; also flat (No 10). Access from Hall to modern conference facilities with steeply raked horseshoe lecture theatre to rear of Nos 11-13 (see separate listing).
FRONT WALL AND LAMP STANDARDS: pair of coped ashlar walls to front (replacing standard Queen Street railings) with base course; terminated by pedestals with cast-iron lamps (Shotts Foundry) surmounted by tiny gilded cocks and cut-glass bowls (Osler of Birmingham).