There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 13/01/1966
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 25248 73959
- Coordinates: 325248, 673959
John Henderson, 1784-7; portico added by William Burn, 1817-8, and Music Hall by Burn and David Bryce, 1843; Ballroom extended into portico by Bryce, 1865; Vestibule by John Bryce, 1883; wings and corresponding rooms added by R Rowand Anderson & A J Balfour Paul, 1906-7. Symmetrical neo-classical 2-storey 7-bay assembly rooms with tetrastyle portico and single bay wings. Polished ashlar sandstone. Channelled ground floor (original block V-jointed, portico square-cut) with large square windows and shallow arched doorway at centre; piano nobile with corniced windows surmounted by blank panels, articulated by Doric pilasters, paired at ends; entablature and parapet; projecting pedimented Roman Doric portico, with later canted infill at centre, supported by channelled 3-bay arcade. Slightly set back single bay pend wings repeat theme with shallow arches at ground, and lower wallhead.
Pink rubble returns to original block. Later block of dressed stone with 3 massive arched windows to Music hall and 2 bays beyond; segmental arched access at ground.
3-storey 4-bay stugged ashlar elevation to Rose Street, central 2 bays with higher wallhead; doors at ground.
Timber sash and case 20-pane windows to piano nobile, 3-pane plate glass at ground. Piended roofs; grey slates; ashlar stacks.
INTERIOR: very fine, especially at 1st floor. Low vestibule with depressed arches leads to stair hall flanked by pair of Imperial stairs, with Coade stone figures; elaborately plastered function room straight ahead and down (presumably Anderson & Paul), remaining principal rooms at (or entered from) 1st floor. Henderson's Saloon, domed square lined with Doric columns, with some later decoration, and Ballroom; latter fills front of building, with ceiling roses and fluted Corinthian pilasters added by John Baxter, 1796, and apse and shell-headed doorway added 1865 (although Bryce designed this alteration in 1857). Music Hall of Greek Cross plan with platform in
S arm and gallery in N; segmentally vaulted ceilings and shallow central dome on pendentives; coffers and rosettes. Spectacular crystal chandeliers in principal rooms.
GATEPIERS: corniced ashlar gatepiers to pends at rear.
Statement of Special Interest
A Group with Nos 30-60 (Even Nos) George Street. The Assembly Rooms is an outstanding example of the late 18th century public building, continuing its original use for public functions. It forms an important part of the original fabric of Edinburgh's New Town, one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain.
The Assembly Rooms were built by public subscription, on a site given by the city, and cost over £6,000. They were initially furnished by Young and Trotter.
John Henderson, of Edinburgh, died prematurely (circa 1788) shortly after the Assembly Rooms was completed, and his other known work, now demolished was Amisfield House, East Lothian. Although he is credited with two built works, had he lived longer he would likely be regarded as one of Scotland's leading architects of the Georgian period.
RCAHMS INVENTORY no 131. MacRae Her 39. A J Youngson THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH (1966) p95. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1988) pp281-2. Valerie Fiddes and Alistair Rowan MR DAVID BRYCE 1803-1876 (1976) p96. BUILDER 7th December 1907. SRO. NMRS EDD 95/25. Dean of Guild plans 1843, 29 April 1865. H Colvin, A BIOGRPAHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS (1995) pp. 487-488.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.