Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

2 RUTLAND PLACE AND RUTLAND STREET AT REAR, BERKELEY CASINO, (FORMER ST THOMAS'S CHURCH, LATTERLY SCOTTISH TOURIST BOARD), INCLUDING RAILINGS, PIERS AND LAMP STANDARDSLB27532

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24646 73627
Coordinates
324646, 673627

Description

David Cousin, 1842-3; re-faced at rear, Wardrop and Reid, 1882; later alterations. 3-storey, 2-bay neo-Norman former church. Polished cream sandstone ashlar with polished dressings; droved sandstone ashlar to basement at rear. NW (Rutland Place) elevation: base course; cavetto moulded string course to ground floor, at springing of round-arched openings; overlapping blind arcaded frieze below chevron-patterned cornice to 1st floor of bow; chevron-patterned cill course to blind arcade at 1st floor to bay to right, with cill course to smaller blind arcade above (obscured by bow at left); cill course to both bays at 2nd floor; band course following gableheads; coped skews. Bays divided at 2nd floor by piers with nook shaft angles, dentil cornices and arcaded caps. Rear (Rutland Street) elevation: band course between basement and ground floor; cill course to 1st floor; complex round-arch spanning paired-arch frieze below cornice and parapet. Chamfered reveals to mullioned and transomed basement windows; nook shafts supporting round-arched bipartites at ground floor; similar at 1st floor with spanning round arch and centred oculus.

NW (RUTLAND PLACE) ELEVATION: 2-bay; paired gables; 2-storey bow to ground and 1st floors of bay to left, nook shafts supporting multi-moulded round-arched doorpiece with pitched roof to bay to ground floor; modern glazed 2-leaf doors with infilled semicircular fanlight; carved blind fretwork beneath gablehead with dentil moulding; oculus to left of doorway; paired doorways to ground floor at bay to right, converted to window with dentil-moulded apron at outer right; 2-leaf timber door with gothic small-pane fanlight to doorway at left; nook shafts support multi-moulded round-headed openings; assortment of rosette, chevron, animal-head and other ornamental motifs to mouldings; nook shafts and ornamental mouldings to 3 evenly disposed lights at 1st floor of bay to left; moulded overlapping round arches to blind arcade to 1st floor of bay to right; recessed moulding to blind arcade above; 3 evenly disposed windows with nook shafts and chevron mouldings to both gables at 2nd floor, with quatrefoil windows to each gablehead.

SE (RUTLAND STREET) ELEVATION: 2-storey and basement, 5-bay; near-symmetrical; bipartite window in each bay at basement (truncated beneath oversailing porch); replacement timber door with segmental fanlight in penultimate bay to left. Gabled entrance porch oversails basement in bay to right of centre; nook shafts support chevron-moulded round-arched doorpiece, with Celtic cross finial; round-arched bipartites to each return; windows to all remaining bays at ground and 1st floors.

NE AND SW ELEVATIONS: obscured by adjoining buildings.

Leaded windows to NW elevation and to returns to portal at rear; aluminium frames to remaining windows at rear; windows at basement partially louvred. Grey slate roof; coped skews. Common ashlar coped multi-flue stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

RAILINGS, PIERS AND LAMP STANDARDS: decorative wrought-iron railings on ashlar cope along rear elevation; railing-mounted iron lamp standard with glass globe and drum well to right of entrance; ashlar piers with triangular-headed panels; spear-headed railings to left of entrance at rear.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. No longer in ecclesiastical use. Originally Church of Scotland, then premises for the Scottish Tourist Board, now a casino. The exuberant and richly decorative neo-Norman front of this building makes a striking contrast with the surrounding Georgian development. From the entrance a geometric stair leads to gallery level, where a floor was inserted circa 1958. The roof is groin-vaulted and, where piers would be expected, are to be found elaborately arched trusses with pendants. The rear elevation is more restrained than the front, the result of a reworking by Wardrop and Reid in 1882. Prior to this, as envisioned in Elliot's initial scheme (which features on the PO Directory map of 1840), it had been classical in character.

References

Bibliography

1840 PO Directory map; THE BUILDER, (7 October 1882); J Grant, CASSELL'S OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH, Vol 2, p209; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), p367.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2 RUTLAND PLACE AND RUTLAND STREET AT REAR, BERKELEY CASINO, (FORMER ST THOMAS'S CHURCH, LATTERLY SCOTTISH TOURIST BOARD), INCLUDING RAILINGS, PIERS AND LAMP STANDARDS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/08/2022 00:06