Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

4 BROUGHTON STREET, ST JAMES PLACE, AND CHAPEL LANE, ST MARY'S (ROMAN CATHOLIC) CATHEDRAL, WITH ST ANDREW'S HALL, TERRACE, STEPS AND RAILINGSLB27449

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - A
Date Added
14/12/1970
Last Date Amended
19/12/1979
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 2593 7432
Coordinates
325930, 674320

Description

James Gillespie Graham, 1813, formerly simple 3 x 6-bay perpendicular gothic nave-and-aisles church, side aisles and nave arcade added by John Biggar, 1891, extensive alterations including 3-bay chancel by Buchanan & Bennett, 1895, raised wallheads and new roof by Reid and Forbes, 1932, hexagonal baptistery to SE by T Harley Haddow & Partners, 1976-77. Polished sandstone ashlar to principal elevation, stugged squared and snecked sandstone with polished ashlar dressings to side and rear elevations.

NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical, 2-tier centre bay, pointed-arched doorway of 4 orders with later 20th century carved timber infill over 2-leaf panelled doors, decorative hoodmould over arch-head rising through string course at base of full-height traceried window rising into gablehead with hoodmoulded arch-head, parapetted skew-copes with cusped arch-heads to blind-arcaded openings and carved cross at apex; 4-tier diagonal buttresses flanking centre bay, breaking eaves as panelled dies with crocketted pinnacles. Traceried windows over substantial base course in bays flanking centre, string course, frieze and mutuled cornice below outer parts of gablehead; single storey aisles flanking principal gable; N aisle comprising pointed-arched recess containing traceried and hoodmoulded window, narrow section recessed at right with panelled timber door in pointed-arch doorway with hoodmould; parapet at eaves, stepped and raised at centre containing small blind lancet; S aisle mirrored image of N aisle, but with no door in recessed section to outer left.

SE ELEVATION: lower portion of elevation obscured by blank wall of S aisle addition; 6-bay side elevation of nave with circular clearstorey window below eaves in each bay; chancel recessed to outer left.

SW GABLE: blank gable with chancel projecting at centre.

NW ELEVATION: single storey 6-bay elevation of N aisle with traceried pointed-arched window in each bay obscuring lower portion of 6-bay N wall of nave, rising behind with circular clearstorey windows in each bay. 4-bay addition to N aisle extending W along Chapel Lane, traceried windows rising into large stone dormerhead breaking eaves in each bay.

CHANCEL: 3-bay sides with traceried windows in each bay, hoodmoulds linked by string course, continuous around canted apse with matching windows to each face.

BAPTISTERY: simple hexagonal form with panelled effect to stonework, 2-leaf timber doors in SE face, short link to S aisle with Dalle de Vere glazing at E and W.

Grey slate roofs; simple pitch to nave, piended W end to chancel, flat roofs to N and S aisles. Cast-iron rainwater goods; ogee-profiled gutters to eaves of nave and chancel, decorative hopperheads (dated 1932) heading square downpipes with decorative brackets, dividing bays of S aisle.

INTERIOR: nave spanning whole width of original church; chancel and aisles running in nave, Gerona fashion. Nave arcade has paired (former) clearstorey windows, cylindrical piers and moulded capitals. Roof supported on painted corbels in form of stylised giant crowned timber angels, carved by Scott Morton, with wings stretched upwards into broad arches; contemporary large brackets for nave and chancel lights. Triple opening in W gable leading to chancel with quatrefoil piers and aisleless chancel. Furnishings include gabled gothic polished stone baldachino by Reginald Fairlie, 1928, central altar by R Rowand Anderson, 1876, stalls and throne adapted by Buchanan & Bennett from earlier work, pulpit by Reid and Forbes, 1932. Stained glass from Munich studio, except 2 windows each of 2 lights by Hardman.

ST ANDREW'S HALL: 1800, with later alterations. 2 and 3-storey 7-bay classical former relief church. Droved ashlar principal elevation with random rubble side and rear elevations with ashlar dressings. Base course, eaves cornice; projecting cills to windows. Principal elevation to SW framed by long and short quoins at corners, oculus to tympanum of advanced and pedimented 3-bay centrepiece, round-arched doorways at ground in each bay, with square stair windows above, and round-arched windows below pediment. Regularly fenestrated outer bays with blind windows, round-arched below eaves. 4-bay side elevations with large segmental-arched windows in 2-storey eastern bays, 3-storey western bay with tall window at 2nd floor and 2 small windows at ground. Symmetrical rear elevation, piend-roof vestry wing obscuring centre and left bays at ground, with segmental-arched window in right bay. Windows at intermediate level in centre bays with round-arched windows above and in outer bays.

12-pane timber sash and case windows, timber mullions to tripartite side windows. Grey slate piended roof with small square wallhead stacks to W corners, and flanking centre bay of E elevation.

TERRACE, STEPS AND RAILINGS: stone-faced terrace with wide flight of steps opposite entrance doors; wrought-iron railings with thistle finials to stanchions; portion of 19th century railings on droved ashlar dwarf wall surviving at E end of Chapel Lane.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Edinburgh New Town A Group. Ecclesiastical building in use as such. This building has been a cathedral since 1878, which succeeded a catholic chapel of simple 'nave and aisles' form. The south cloister chapel was lost in a fire in 1891, and in that year John Biggar designed the north and south aisles and nave arcade. Biggar also designed a chancel and two towers, but none of this scheme was built, and Buchanan & Bennett designed the 3-bay chancel that was built in 1895. The original roofline was raised in 1832 by Reid and Forbes, achieved by adding an upper clearstorey with circular windows to the wallheads of the aisle elevations, and infilling the east gable to either side of the central bay. In 1976-8, T Harley Haddow & Partners removed Buchanan and Bennett's south east baptistery and the porch that covered the principal entrance door, and built the new baptistery and terrace.

References

Bibliography

Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH PORT-REFORMATION CHURCHES (1957), pp134, 156; Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH (1984), p278; McKean, EDINBURGH (1992), p106.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 4 BROUGHTON STREET, ST JAMES PLACE, AND CHAPEL LANE, ST MARY'S (ROMAN CATHOLIC) CATHEDRAL, WITH ST ANDREW'S HALL, TERRACE, STEPS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/09/2019 03:59