Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 26918 76119
326918, 676119


James Simpson, dated 1875-6, enlarged and heightened George Craig, 1888. 2-storey and mansard attic 12-bay, French 18th century style school with French pavilion roofs, now converted to workshops. Cream sandstone, squared and snecked stugged rubble with polished dressings. Base course; band course above ground floor and at eaves level; segmental-arched windows; front elevation with corniced windows to wings at ground floor, bracketted cills at 1st floor; recessed ornamental cast-iron ventilation grilles at ground and 1st floor.

E (FRONT) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 11-bay. 4-bay advanced centre block with bipartite windows and pedimented scroll-flanked dormers; outer bays advanced, 3rd floor breaking eaves with pedimented dormerheads and French pavilion roofs. 4-bay outer wings (to left angled forward) with outer bays slightly advanced, with corniced doorways with tall fanlights (blind to outer right with inscription), pavilion roofs; inner bays with tripartite windows to centre, single windows above, flanked by paired windows.

W (HENDERSON STREET) ELEVATION: 14-bay; 6-bay centre block with outer bays slightly advanced as E elevation; centre bays bipartite and paired with pedimented scroll-flanked single and bipartite dormers. 4-bay wing to left with outer bay slightly advanced, single windows and pavilion roof; inner bays with 2nd floor windows breaking eaves with half-piend finialled dormerheads; bipartite and single windows;

2 scroll-flanked bull?s-eye metal dormers with antifixae. 4-bay wing (angled) to right with tall shoulder-arched arcade of recessed play shelters at ground floor; slightly advanced outer bay with pavilion roof; single windows at 1st floor to inner bays breaking eaves as above.

N (SPIERS PLACE) ELEVATION: 5-bay; advanced stair tower to centre with windows paired vertically in ashlar panels, at 2nd floor pedimented and breaking eaves, pavilion roof and single windows on returns. Single windows to remaining bays; outer bays slightly advanced with pavilion roofs.

S ELEVATION: 4-bay; 2 arcade openings to play shelters to left bays; single windows above and to right of centre; pavilion roofs to outer bays.

Timber sash and case windows, mostly 2-pane upper, 4-pane lower sashes. Slate mansard roof with metal flashings; central stacks. Octagonal gutterheads.

INTERIOR: converted to small workshop units.

Low boundary wall with iron railings.

Statement of Special Interest

The French pavilion roofs, the major feature of the building look bare: they may have been enhanced originally by decorative iron brattishing which traditionally adorned these types of roofs.



Gifford et al, EDINBURGH (1984), p467.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 67 GILES STREET, ST MARY'S WORKSHOPS, FOMER YARDHEADS SCHOOL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/09/2019 22:01