Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

HERIOT WATT UNIVERSITY, RICCARTON ESTATE, GARDENER'S HOUSE, BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGSLB27355

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
13/01/1975
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 17696 69290
Coordinates
317696, 669290

Description

Probably William Burn, circa 1823. Single-storey rectangular-plan, Tudoresque gardener?s house with lean-to bay to S. Squared and snecked honey-coloured sandstone ashlar, squared and snecked rubble at rear. Droved margins, chamfered reveals. Hoodmould. Base course. Broad eaves.

SW elevation: broad gable, jerkin-headed at apex, advanced off-centre to right, tripartite window, door in left return of gable. Lower lean-to bay to outer right, bipartite window. Verandah to left of gable on 4 cast- iron colonettes, bipartite and single window in SW wall.

NE elevation: 3 symmetrical bays with single lean-to bay to outer left. Entrance bay advanced at centre, jerkin- headed pediment, 2-leaf flush-panelled door with 6-pane fanlight. Flanking windows. Lean-to bay to outer left, boarded door with 3-pane letterbox fanlight, small window to outer left.

Side elevation: gable with bipartite window at centre and jerkin-headed at apex.

Diamond-pane timber casement windows. 12-pane sash and case to NE. Grey slates. Broad overhanging eaves.

Interior: not seen (1992).

Boundary wall and railings: low rubble boundary wall with ashlar coping forming base for iron,lattice trellis railings with fleur-de-lis finials. Located immediately to N of cottage.

Statement of Special Interest

The former gardener's house of Riccarton estate is located on the S side of the main avenue to Heriot Watt University and now serves as the university creche. Riccarton House was demolished in 1956. William Burn added a Jacobethan extension in 1823 and is probably the architect of the cottage. The cottage lies immediately to N of the walled garden which is listed separately. Riccarton N lodge, gatepiers and screen walls, are also listed separately.

References

Bibliography

C McWilliam Lothian (1978) p405. OS 1st edition map, 1853.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HERIOT WATT UNIVERSITY, RICCARTON ESTATE, GARDENER'S HOUSE, BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/08/2022 02:38