Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

HATTON ESTATE, S TERRACE WALL WITH PAVILIONS AND BATH-HOUSELB27334

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
22/01/1971
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 12865 68748
Coordinates
312865, 668748

Description

Late 18th century. Rubble built battered wall with curved bath-house projection at centre and square pavilions.

PAVILIONS: 2-stage, square-plan, ogee-roofed classical garden pavilions. Rusticated ashlar at ground level, rubble with harl-pointing at upper level, ashlar dressings, impost and dividing cornices, raised quoins, eaves band and cornice, channelled margins. Entrance to 1st floor from terrace at N; entrance to lower floor from outside to S.

W PAVILION: E ELEVATION: large round arch opening at centre, fluted console keystone, projecting impost cornice to right and left, recessed entrance proper within. Tripartite entrance, door at centre flanked by 2 windows (now blinded); large oculus in tympanum. Projecting, moulded string course; window at centre at 1st floor. Blocked window at ground and 1st floor of S return. W elevation inaccessible but apparently similar arrangement to E elevation.

N ELEVATION: door at ground, rusticated architrave; interior wooden roof; 12-pane sash and case in S wall; fireplace in W wall.

E PAVILION: similar arrangement to W pavilion but round- arch; console keystone. Ruinous forestair against S wall leading to upper garden, supported by arch buttress on E side. Windows at 1st floor level; replacement windows; door at centre of N elevation, rusticated architrave.

French casement windows. Slate ogival roof; finials broken off.

BATH HOUSE: battered, semi-circular, 2-stage projecting from centre of terrace wall; rubble with ashlar dressings. Door at centre of S front set within battered opening; window to right and left also within heavily splayed surrounds; niche above each opening.

INTERIOR: smooth render; segmental-vaulted; stone bench lining each wall; niche above. Ashlar round bath under rusticated arch at N end, 10 ft in diameter and 4 ft deep; no fittings remain.

Statement of Special Interest

Hatton House was built in the late 17th century by Charles Maitland, subsequently Earl of Lauderdale. The house was the seat of the Lauderdales from 1682-1792. In 1870 the estate was acquired by the Earl of Morton who passed it to his son Lord Aberdour. In more recent times the house belonged to William Whitelaw grandfather of the former MP. The house was burnt in 1952 and demolished in 1955 and the terrace wall, bath house and pavilions along with the garden house and S gates are the only remains of Hatton House. The garden house and S gates are listed separately. In the photographs in JR Findlay's book (1875) the pavilions are unroofed but he does record that in the 1870s repairs and restorations were undertaken by Robert Anderson architect.

References

Bibliography

C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p247-248. F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETEER OF SCOTLAND (1897) p249. J Tweedie & C Jones OUR DISTRICT (1975) p76-78. J R Findlay HATTON HOUSE (1875). 'Ding it Doon' Herbert Fenwick. COUNTRY LIFE Sept 16th 1911 Vol XXX No 767 pp408. NMRS Newspaper cuttings ML/3104; Small's CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF THE LOTHIANS.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HATTON ESTATE, S TERRACE WALL WITH PAVILIONS AND BATH-HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2019 22:18