Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 20558 72858
320558, 672858


P McGregor Chalmers, 1911-13. Later additions of hall and various rooms at rear. 2-stage, 7-bay near-rectangular plan Italian Romanesque church. Central nave-gable flanked by lean-to side-aisles forming gabled side-chapels at E; semi-circular 5-sided apse surmounted by semi-dome at E; rectangular-plan gabled hall adjoining at SE. Hammer-dressed coursed pink sandstone; polished ashlar dressings. Base course; vertical pilaster divisions at ground; narrow arched openings; dentiled cornice; stepped frieze at gable heads; cruciform finials.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps up to advanced entrance porch at left; 2-leaf timber panelled door; carved architrave, semi-circular tympanum and hoodmould supported by columns with carved capitals. 3 single windows to side aisle. Single storey re-entrant angle porch; timber door. 3 single windows to side-chapel. 7 sets of paired clerestory windows to nave.

E ELEVATION: 5 bay apse; moulded cill courses; blind tripartite arcade. Flanking chapels comprise centrally placed pair of windows. Church hall and subsidiary rooms adjoin to outer right.

W ELEVATION: 3 windows to nave; cill course. Single windows to flanking side aisles. Church hall and subsidiary rooms adjoin to outer left.

N ELEVATION: as for S elevation, except no entrance porches. Church hall and subsidiary rooms adjoin.

CHURCH HALL AND SUBSIDIARY ROOMS: hall to rear of church completed 1930, Guild Room doubled in size 1932 by T Bowhill Gibson. Both in similar style and material to main church.

Heavy leaded windows; stained glass; skylights. Grey slate roof; raised stone skews; skewputts.

INTERIOR: continuously arcaded, with a pair of clerestory windows over each arch, supported by a series of square piers and columns. Richly carved column capitals, each of four symbols expressing a theme - Christian Life/Christ/The Children of the Bible/Four Parables/The Word Prophesised and Preached/ Practical Religion/The Trinity/The Church. Domed ceiling of vestibule rests on four carved corbel stones symbolic of Praise - Viol, Harp, Organ and Pipe. 13 stained glass windows of heavy leadwork by Gordon Webster (3 by his father); porch windows by William Wilson 1947. Chancel floor of draughtboard pattern marble from Greece and Iona; timber pulpit and pews.

BOUNDARY WALLS, POSTBOX, GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND STREET LIGHT: coped, rubble sandstone wall containing post box at S; square-plan gatepiers with pitched caps; cast iron gates, and railings; black scrolled iron lantern street-light to W of church.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such (C of S). In McGregor Chalmers' original design, a tall Campanile tower was intended over the main entrance, but the 1914-18 war intervened and the tower remains unbuilt. Although incomplete, the building is a fine example of McGregor Chalmers' scholarly revivalist work, abounding in high quality materials and craftsmanship.



THE BUILDER 03/02/1911, p151; City Archives, Dean of Guild Records, 3/1912; Appears on Ordnance Survey map, 1914; WG Dey ST ANNE'S CORSTORPHINE (1966); W G Dey CORSTORPHINE: A PICTORIAL HISTORY OF A MIDLOTHIAN VILLAGE (1990) p66; A S Cowper HISTORIC CORSTORPHINE AND ROUNDABOUT Vol 4 (1991) p19-20; Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1991) p525; C McKean EDINBURGH: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1992) p172; NMRS photographic archives (ED 1029/A45300/po).

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST JOHN'S ROAD AND 1 KAIMES ROAD, ST ANNE'S PARISH CHURCH, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, POSTBOX, GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND STREET LIGHT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/01/2019 10:06