Possibly later 18th century, substantially remodelled 1886, restored 1987. 3-storey 6-bay tenement with later shopfront (1886) at ground floor, off-centre pend and large brick-built printing works (1886) to rear. Front elevation rendered simulating ashlar, coursed rubble to rear. Ground floor openings with roll-moulded reveals; 1st floor windows architraved with open swan-neck pediments framing thistle or fleur-de-lis motifs.
E (FRONT) ELEVATION: pend off-centre to left with plain cast-iron 2-leaf gates; pend and outer bays flanked at fascia level by acanthus leaf capitals carrying pedimented panels (dated 1886 to left of pend, 1987 to right of pend). Shopfront (1886) to outer left, red sandstone surround, basket-arched openings, recessed doorway at centre, slender timber colonnette mullions with foliate capitals, stained glass panels to top of display windows. 2 common stair doorways to right bays, panelled doors with border-glazed fanlights, flanked by single windows. regular fenestration above. Windows and same detailing to single bay return to N.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: segmental-arched pend (earlier fabric); small brick projection to right. Large 3-storey 9-bay L-plan brick-built printing works with segmental-arched paired windows divided by brick pilasters adjoining No 42 at right angles partly obscuring bowed stairwell.
Timber sash and case windows, plate glass glazing to 1st floor, 12-pane windows to 2nd floor and rear, multi-pane timber casements to printing-works. Slate roof with lead flashings; coped apex and central transverse stack.
INTERIOR: shop at No 42 with ornate gilded cornices.