Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

16 AND 16A NAPIER ROAD WITH BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGSLB27287

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
03/02/1993
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24031 71908
Coordinates
324031, 671908

Description

Circa 1874. 2-storey 3-bay rectangular-plan villa with single storey rear projection. Cream sandstone, ashlar front, squared and snecked rubble to rear and sides. Eaves cornice; mullions to canted window with under-cut arrises with decoratively carved stops; shouldered and corniced stacks.

SW (FRONT) ELEVATION: central tripartite doorpiece with cornice and balcony with panelled and balustraded parapet on carved consoles above, etched glass to side lights, panelled door, rectangular plate glass fanlight and tiled vestibule; scroll-flanked round-arched and keystoned window at 1st floor above, flanked by shallow pilasters. Bay to left with full-height canted window, decorative string course above ground floor, half-@piend roof. Shallow projection to right bay with tripartite windows to ground and 1st floor, ground floor window with decorative band course circled over carved rosette, 1st floor window with chip-carving to lintel.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: single storey service projection; central wallhead with cast-iron brattishing raised between wallhead stacks. SE ELEVATION: 3-bay; single windows; wallhead stack to left bay. NW ELEVATION: mirrored SE elevation; secondary entrance door. Timber sash and case windows, plate glass glazing to front, 4-pane windows to rear and sides; slate piend and platform roof with lead flashings; 4 wallhead stacks (see above).

INTERIOR: not seen 1992.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: low rubble wall to front with saddleback coping, original turned cast-iron railings, later gates.

References

Bibliography

PO Directory 1874; OS 1877.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 16 AND 16A NAPIER ROAD WITH BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 04:08