There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 29097 74371
- Coordinates: 329097, 674371
David Rhind, 1848-56; low relief sculpture carved by Alfred Gatley; architectural ornamentation carved by Thomas. Tall (almost 50ft), Neo-classical rectangular-planned mausoleum with low reliefs (each 12ft x 6ft) depicting "Overthrow of Pharaoh in the Red Sea" (N elevation) and "The Song of Moses and Miriam" (S elevation). Polished ashlar. Mausoleum on raised stage; plinth, acanthus-carved course to next smaller stage; acanthus-carved course between this and final, shallow stage; roll-moulded base to rectangular-planned sarcophagus with architrave, swag-carved frieze, dentilled cornice. Ribbed barrel roof of fish-scale carved ashlar with acanthus aneifixae; segmental pediment to E and W with acroteria at apex and, to E, carved with "Hoc Monumentum Posvit MDMDCCCLVI" to centre in wreath-surrounded plaque held by angels. Niche to E elevation with carved architrave. (W elevation as E elevation.)
BOUNDARY WALL: sandstone rubble with squared and snecked upper section and ashlar coping. Granite plaque set into wall to N: "This monument was erected to the memory of William Henry Miller and his parents William Miller and Martha Rawson or Miller. Here are interred Martha Miller Died 11th January 1827; William Henry Miller MP for Newcastle-under-Lyme, born 13th February 1789, died 31st October 1848; Sarah Marsh Born 20th April 1792, Died 8th August 1860; Ellen Marsh Born 29th August 1801, died 4th November 1861. All of Craigentinny and Britwell Buckinghamshire. The site was consecrated on 13th September 1860. The sculptures were added in 1866. Architect David Rhind Edinburgh. Sculptor Alfred Gatley Rome."
Statement of Special Interest
Ian Gow explains that the Mausoleum was intended by William Henry Miller not just to commemorate his life but also to celebrate the Arts. "He stipulated that it should take the form of a facsimile of the Temple of Vesta at Tivoli." The man who was instrumental in these wishes being carried out was Samuel Christie, businessman and MP for Newcastle-upon-Lyme. Rhind, along with other architects, apparently wrote to Christie, and his knowledge of the Temple of Vesta along with his portfolio of completed work made him an ideal candidate. However, the magnitude of the original Temple meant that the scheme was altered and the mausoleum was to be based upon an antique tomb. William Henry Miller had been buried in a deep shaft for some time prior to the building of the mausoleum. It was intended that panels should also be carved for the E and W elevations, but these were never completed. The consecration was carried out by the Bishop of Edinburgh in March 1860 prior to the arrival of the low reliefs.
Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND- EDINBURGH, (1991), pp 661-662. THE ARCHITECTURAL OUTSIDERS: I Gow, "David Rhind, 1808-1883- the Master of Mercantile Ornament", (1985), pp 169-171.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.