Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

63 AND 63A COLINTON ROAD WITH GARDEN HOUSE, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERSLB27184

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/01/1981
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24141 71630
Coordinates
324141, 671630

Description

Circa 1866, doubled in size by George Beattie & Sons, 1885. Single storey and attic irregular-plan cottage-style, gabled, subdivided villa. Cream sandstone, square and snecked rubble with droved ashlar dressings to front and NW elevation. Stop-chamfered reveals; ashlar mullions; ornately carved bargeboards to finialled main gables; plain bargeboards to remaining gables and dormers; overhanging eaves with exposed rafters: grooved and corniced stacks.

SE (FRONT) ELEVATION: 3-bay; gabled timber porch at centre with kingpost and timber gablehead, carved brackets and pendant, panelled door on return, tiled vestibule; 1st floor window breaking eaves in jerkin-headed dormer. Gabled bay to left with canted ashlar window at ground floor rising to smaller canted timber window at 1st floor; timber-boarded gablehead. Gabled bay to right with canted window wiht half-piend roof at ground floor; bipartite window in gablehead.

NW (COLINTON ROAD) ELEVATION: 3-bay blank gabled bay to right with kingpost, wallhead stack. Single window to centre bay. Bay to left with single window at ground floor; bipartite window at 1st floor breaking eaves in gabled dormerhead with kingpost.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: M-gabled with 2 wallhead stacks, single storey garage at right angle to SE; large modern forestair to right bay. Left bay with single window at ground floor, bipartite window in gablehead. Secondary door and garage at left.

SE ELEVATION: advanced gabled wing to right with single window and wallhead stack, single windows on return (some modern). Gabled bay to left with kingpost and wallhead stack, single storey flat-roofed modern half-glazed extension at ground floor.

GARDEN HOUSE: small early 20th century gabled timber garden house with mock-half timbered gable, curved timber parapet to front, single windows to side elevations.

Timber sash and case windows with plate glass glazing. Slate roof with lead flashings; 5 wallhead stacks (see above), 1 central stack. INTERIOR: not seen 1992.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: tall rubble wall with semi-circular coping arched over pedestrian entrance at NW, low rubble wall to front with saddleback coping, pedestraian gate in chamfered NE corner with cast-iron gates and original cast-iron gatepiers on panelled ashlar pedestals.

Statement of Special Interest

The 1885 additions to the originally 2-bay house included the entrance porch, the whole bay to the left of the porch and the recessed rear wing. The decorative bargeboards lift the villa above the margin for listing.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild 3/1885.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 63 AND 63A COLINTON ROAD WITH GARDEN HOUSE, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/10/2021 09:24