Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

1 WILLOWBRAE ROAD, NEW RESTALRIG PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), WITH HALL AND RETAINING WALLLB27166

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
10/04/1986
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 28383 74129
Coordinates
328383, 674129

Description

Arthur George Sydney Mitchell & George Wilson, 1891-2; HALL, George Niven, 1914 (extended 1977). Cruciform Scots Gothic church with lean-to aisles swept round to entrance porch, transepts to N and S, spired square-plan tower to NE. Basement containing church hall to N. Base course to S & W. Cill course to aisle windows. Hoodmoulds to pointed-arch openings. Snecked Corsehill stone; polished ashlar dressings.

W ELEVATION: cross-finialled projecting gabled porch to centre of lean-to narthex; 2-leaf timber-boarded door with decorative iron hinges in nook-shafted pointed-arched doorpiece; small trefoil-headed 2-light windows to flanking bays; crocketted finials to flanking buttresses; outer bays of lean-to narthex swept to meet aisles (lit by 3 trefoil-headed windows). 6-light window with geometric tracery to cross-finialled gable above.

TOWER: 5 stage tower. Recessed at 2nd and 3rd stages. Off centre boarded door to ground; various lights to lower stages. Tall louvred bipartite lancets to 5th stage; cill course belowCorbelled to balustrade with projecting spouts. Angle quoining to tower from 3rd storey up, and to windows. Weathervane to facetted, lucarned spire.

N ELEVATION: tower to outer left. Bays divided by butresses. Basement windows in segmental-arched recesses; 4 pointed-arched lights to each recess. 5-light Y-traceried window to N transept to left. Shouldered lancets to 4-bay lean-to aisle. 2-light pointed clerestorey windowswith y-tracery lighting nave above. Slightly advanced gabled porch to outer right: 2-leaf boarded door with decorative cast-iron hinges in round-arched hoodmoulded opening flanked by butresses.

S ELEVATION: shouldered lancets to 4-bay lean-to aisle. 2-light clerestorey windows with Y-tracery lighting nave above. 5-light Y-traceried window to S transept to right.

Graded grey slates; terracotta ridge tiles; red tiles to spire. Leaded lights to all windows. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative hoppers.

INTERIOR: braced collar-rafter ceiling. Full height paired pointed-arches to transepts. Pointed arches to aisles (4 bays). Modern pulpit, lectern and communion table on dais at E end.

CHURCH HALL: single storey hall with facetted piend-ended roof and slim, louvred, spired ventilator to centre of ridge. Modern extension to NW.

Statement of Special Interest

Occupies prominent corner site on roads from Edinburgh to Portobello and The South. Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Formerley Parson's Green Free Church. The Manse, also built by Sydney Mitchell, is situated at the top of Abercorn road. According to THE BUILDER, the church cost about ?5700 to build.

References

Bibliography

Plans in NMRS, dated 1880 and 1890, ref: SMW1880/37/1/1-14. Appears on 1896 OS map. THE BUILDER, February 13th 1892, p127. Gifford, McWilliam & Walker, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: EDINBURGH, p556 (1988). Anon, NEW RESTALRIG CHURCH: 1892 TO 1992 AND BEYOND.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1 WILLOWBRAE ROAD, NEW RESTALRIG PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), WITH HALL AND RETAINING WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/12/2019 05:43