Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

20 MERCHISTON AVENUE AND 1 POLWARTH TERRACELB27161

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
03/02/1993
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24176 72181
Coordinates
324176, 672181

Description

Possibly dated 1874. 2-storey irregular-plan gothic double villa opening to basement at rear; cream sandstone, coursed and snecked with polished ashlar dressings to front, droved ashlar dressings to rear and sides; chamfered reveals; 1st floor moulded cill course rising from ground floor hoodmoulds; chevron frieze to front, porch and canted window; ashlar mullions; carved roundels with foliage motifs to spandrels.

NE (MERCHISTON AVENUE) ELEVATION: 3-bay; single storey entrance porch set in re-entrant angle to outer right formed with M-gabled bay to NW; porch (originally arcaded, now infilled) with rubble base, piend and platform roof carried by shouldered arches over slender columns with foliage capitals, 2-leaf panelled entrance door to NE, single window to NW; pointed-arch window with gabled dormerhead set in angle above. Gabled bay to right of centre, bipartite window with trefoil carving to lintel at ground floor, round-arched bipartite window with slender central column and foliage capital in pointed-arch panel at 1st floor; grooved, shouldered and corniced wallhead stack on return to right over porch with carved panel; single windows to centre bay with shouldered-arch to 1st floor window; 2-storey tripartite bow window in outer left bay, string course raised to hoodmould over central ground floor window over square panel with carved 'green man', shouldered-arch windows at 1st floor breaking eaves in fish scale conical roof with decoratvie cast-iron finial. NW (POLWARTH TERRACE) ELEVATION: 3-bay; M-gabled to centre and right; single storey porch to left (see above); central bay comprised of later entrance door inserted between basement and ground floor with moulded surround half-blocking former bipartite window with trefoil carving to lintel above; round-arched bipartite window with slender central column and foliage capital in pointed-arch panel at 1st floor. Bay to right, 2-storey canted windows with half-piend roof, square panel with carved 'green man' under raised hoodmould over central ground floor window. SW ELEVATION: 3-storey lean-to projection with bipartite windows at basement and ground floor, single window above; single windows on return at 1st floor; narrow corbelled window set in angle; grooved, shouldered and corniced wallhead stack to left; flat-roofed canopy over door in return later alterations; 2-storey lean-to projection (altered) to right.

SE (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay; gabled bay to right with apex stack and single windows to each floor; single 1st floor window in central bay; recessed bay to left with wide wallhead stack and 2-storey lean-to projection (altered).

Plate glass timber sash and case windows; slate roof, lead flashings; 3 wallhead stacks (see above); triangular coped skews with gablet-caped skewputts, originally stone finials to gables; moulded eaves gutter; single storey stone-built double garage.

INTERIOR: not seen 1992.

Tall rubble boundary wall with semi-circular coping, stepped down to NE elevation (railings missing), elaborate cast-iron gate and gatepiers to NE.

Statement of Special Interest

Dated in EDINBURGH as 1874, probably derived from the panel over porch, now illegible through spalling.

References

Bibliography

Gifford et al., EDINBURGH (1984), p501; OS 1877; PO Directory 1877.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 20 MERCHISTON AVENUE AND 1 POLWARTH TERRACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 03:00