There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 27329 76471
- Coordinates: 327329, 676471
Peddie & Kinnear, dated 1861, frieze carving John Rhind. 2-storey corner office block with engaged octagonal entrance tower and Renaissance details, large rectangular-plan hall to N. Cream sandstone, polished ashlar with squared and snecked stugged rubble to rear and side. Base course; carved frieze of vine leaves and corbelled string course above ground floor; frieze of scrolled vine leaves to deep modillioned eaves cornice; windows in recessed panels; ground floor openings with moulded stilted segmental arches and impost course, ornamental iron grilles to aprons; 1st floor windows with moulded round-arched heads and impost course.
ENTRANCE TOWER: engaged octagonal 3-stage entrance tower; 1st and 2nd stage detailed as above with doorway to centre, 2-leaf panelled door and plate glass fanlight, consoled cornice blank arches to outer bays. Top stage with round-arched bipartite windows with foliate capitals set in recessed rectangular panels to 4 sides; paterae frieze and bracketted eaves cornice; classical octagonal domed metal roof with wallhead stack to rear and octagonal domed bellcote with round-arched openings and ornate weathervane.
NW (CONSTITUTION STREET) ELEVATION: 4-bay office block to right with arcaded openings, secondary doorway to outer right. 5-bay hall to left with carved frieze (John Rhind) of putti in grain-related activities and eaves cornice; moulded, round-arched and keystoned openings. Centre bay with tall doorway with elongated fanlight; 2 bays to right with tall windows with bracketted cills; 2 bays to left with large rectangular architraved and corniced doorways with boarded doors and small semi-circular fanlights above cornice, cast-iron pal stones.
S (BALTIC STREET) ELEVATION: 7-bay (excluding corner tower) with arcaded openings; secondary doorways with 2-pane fanlights to outer right and centre bays. Single storey screen wall to outer right with
2 segmental arches, to right blocked with blank segmental-arched panel.
W ELEVATION: blank with blocked windows to left and broad rendered wallhead stack to office block.
4-pane timber sash and case arched windows. Slate roof with metal flashings to office block; felt roof to hall. 2 wallhead stacks (see above), apex stack to gable end of hall, large transverse stack.
INTERIOR: vestibule and stair hall with red and white marble floor and dado; newel posts with timber lighthouses as lamps; 2 windows flanking doorway with non-figurative stained glass (circa 1900); ground floor toilets with original tiling; large skylight to round offices at 1st floor. Exchange hall to rear blind round arches to side bays and semi-circular gable elevations; roof supported by arched timber braces with pierced and carved spandrels painted gold, red and blue.
Statement of Special Interest
Group with 37-43 Constitution Street, 2-18, 1-31 Bernard Street and Robert Burns Statue.
THE SCOTSMAN, Oct 17 1860. BUILDING NEWS, Sept 28 1860. THE BUILDER, Nov 8 1862. Gifford et al, EDINBURGH (1984), pp469-70.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.