There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 12/12/1974
- Last Date Amended: 17/07/2015
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 26052 73452
- Coordinates: 326052, 673452
William Sibbald, 1803-5. 3-bay, symmetrical, nave and aisle Neo-Jacobean former church (No 9) with curvilinear gables, now internally linked to early 19th century 2-storey, 6-bay Classical office (No 11) (currently forming university works department and offices) to right and with single storey pavilion to left. Ashlar, with some raised margins to church, rubble to rear. Base course, band course to pavilions, cornice. Raised cills. Round-arched openings to church and ground floor of No 11. Timber entrance door with semi-circular fanlight above to far left.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: former church with slightly advanced central bay. Set of 3 hoodmoulded round-arched openings to ground with 2-leaf boarded timber doors with metal studs and decorative metal hinges with 3-light semi-circular fanlights above. Large, central 4-light curvilinear tracery window with flanking smaller, 3-light tracery windows. Polygonal corner pinnacles.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows to No 11. Grey slates. Piended roof to pavilion to left.
INTERIOR: (seen 2007). Comprehensively altered to form workshop and offices. Barrel vaulted basement rooms. Some decorative plaster cornicing.
Statement of Special Interest
The neo-Jacobean style of the street elevation of this former church is particularly distinctive. The two flanking pavilions are an unusual addition and the ensemble is a significant addition to the streetscape of the area.
The Classical style was more popular in Edinburgh at this time and the curvilinear style of the church gable was perhaps influenced by the Canongate Church (see separate listing).
This church was built as a replacement for a previous Lady Yester Church slightly to the East. Lady Yester, the wife of James Hay of Yester, erected the original church in 1644 with seating for 817 people. This church was built in 1803 with seating for around 1200. There was a small cemetery around the church and some of the tombstones and tablets still survive embedded into the boundary walls. An engraving in Thomas Shepherd s Modern Athens of 1829 shows No 11 as a single-storey building with the corresponding pavilion to the left of the church. It is suggested in Colvin that they originally held shops. It is likely that the 2nd storey was added later in the 19th century.
William Sibbald (died 1809) was the Superintendent of Public Works in Edinburgh from 1790-1809.
Currently university workshop and offices (2007).
List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08.
Statutory address updated (2015).
Previously listed as '9 and 11 Infirmary Street'.
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 52406
John Wood, Plan of the City of Edinburgh, 1823.
1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1849-53.
James Cassells, Old and New Edinburgh, 1880s, Vol IV, p286.
Shepherd s Edinburgh, 1980.
John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker, Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1984 p229.
H Colvin Dictionary Of British Architects 1600-1840 (1995) p867.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.