Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

25 BRIDGE STREET, BUCHAN POTTERY KILNSLB27036

Status: Removed

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/09/1995
Date Removed:
12/07/2016
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 30451 74262
Coordinates
330451, 674262

Removal Reason

Dual designation

Description

1906 and 1909, formerly part of premises for Thistle Potteries of

A W Buchan and Co (known formerly as the Portobello or Waverley Pottery). Now free-standing, angular bottle-profile (neck slightly narrower to 1909 kiln), brick (red brick, with some yellowish-colour bricks, 1906 kiln; yellowish-coloured brick laid in an English garden-wall bond to 1909, with some red brick used for blinding openings) kilns (dated), formerly part of a large pottery works; 1909 kiln 39 ft high, both of circular-plan (23 ft 3 in diameter at base of 1909 kiln). Ornamental drip-course, dentilled cornice to each; evidence of furnace stoking holes and ash holes at bases (10 arched furnace, holes to 1909 kiln, with ash-pits forming perimeter of kiln, corresponding to dwarf 'bag-walls' inside). 1906 kiln has had its upper section rebuilt in poor quality modern brick. Both are strapped to body of each kiln with iron bands and inspection holes. Openings to SE (at bases) now blinded; upper openings (inspection doors) to WSW with board doors to both. Capacity of 1909 kiln about 130 piles of saggars.

References

Bibliography

W Baird, ANNALS OF DUDDINGSTON AND PORTOBELLO, (1898). Article at Central library, undated (possibly 1948): "Portobello Pottery".

I A SCOTLAND, J Butt, 1967. J Butt, I L Donnachie, J R Hume, INDUSTRIAL HISTORY IN PICTURES- SCOTLAND, (1968) pp 59-60. John R Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND, THE LOWLANDS AND BORDERS, (1976), p 200. G Cruickshank, SCOTTISH POTTERY, (1987). Photographic and general archives of Edinburgh District Archaeological Department. G Hay and G Stell, MONUMENTS OF INDUSTRY, (1986), p 171.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 25 BRIDGE STREET, BUCHAN POTTERY KILNS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/11/2019 23:46