Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

HAYMARKET TERRACE, HAYMARKET STATION ENTRANCE AND OFFICE BLOCK WITH STEPS, RAILINGS, AND LAMP STANDARDLB26901

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 27/10/1964

Location

  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NT 24008 73180
  • Coordinates: 324008, 673180

Description

John Miller, engineer, 1840, opened 1842. Italianate symmetrical 2-storey 7-bay station office and entrance block. Ashlar sandstone with polished dressings and long and short quoins. Dentilled eaves cornice with blocking course. 2-leaf panelled doors with 2-pane fanlights.

PRINCIPLE ELEVATION: tetrastyle Tuscan portico across 3 bays at centre with entablature (dentilled cornice) and blocking course; behind, 4 closely spaced windows and a door to far left. Flanking bays with consoled cornices; door to right, built up window to left. Outer bays advanced, each with door and consoled cornice at ground. 1st floor windows to all bays with bracketed cills and consoled cornices. Clock above cornice at centre, in round-headed moulded ashlar frame, slightly splayed at base; James Ritchie and Son.

SIDE ELEVATIONS: 2-bay. Stugged sandstone with ashlar dressings; dentilled cornice and blocking course. Much altered.

REAR ELEVATION: 3-storey 6-bay rear elevation with wallhead stacks and modern additions; detailed as side elevations, without cornice. Gablehead dormer to right.

Modern stairs to platforms at lower level.

Timber sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing. Shallow piend roof behind blocking course, grey slates; corniced wallhead stacks; original pierced octagonal cans.

INTERIOR: gutted at ground for modern ticket booths, shop and offices. Boardroom survives at centre of 1st floor; monumental polished pink granite Egyptian chimneypiece with pair of squat obelisks flanking simple mantelpiece; single window cornice supported on consoles, with acroteria, fills NE wall; NW door with massive surround and cornice supported on consoles. Heavily moulded dentilled cornice and ceiling rose, both with anthemion and palmette decoration. Most of 1st and upper floors derelict (1992).

STEPS AND RAILINGS: ashlar steps descending to platform level to N; cast-iron decorative railings at centre. Cast-iron lamp standard at upper ground level. Gates removed.

Statement of Special Interest

Originally the head office of the terminus of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. David Bell is likely to have been responsible for the architectural design. Original iron train shed now at Bo'ness Museum. Trains ran through to Waverley from 1846, but present arrangement of through platforms by James Carswell, 1894. Platforms redeveloped 1982-4.

References

Bibliography

British Rail Archives (SRO); BLASTPIPE Nos 55, 60 1982,1983; Dennis Rodwell "What Does One Do with a Dilapidated Pidgeon Coop?" SCOTTISH FIELD; A J Youngson THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH p 278. Gifford et. al. EDINBURGH p 369.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Map

There is no map available for this record.

Printed: 29/08/2016 04:41