Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

1A AND 2-11 (INCLUSIVE NOS) DOCK PLACE; EH6 6LULB26890

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/03/1994
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26968 76652
Coordinates
326968, 676652

Description

John Paterson, engineer, circa 1810. Symmetrical 4-storey and attic 12-bay warehouse with offices at ground, now converted as tenement with commercial properties at ground. Coursed cream sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and ground floor; string course above all floors; ashlar blocking course below eaves; regular fenestration.

E (DOCK PLACE) ELEVATION: 4-storey 12-bay; at ground, 18-bay engaged Ionic colonnade with full entablature (9 S bays of fibreglass, copied from N originals at Nos 4-7 in early 1980s). Flanking 3-bay ends closely spaced and slightly advanced above ground.

S ELEVATION: 4-storey and attic 7-bay gable end. At ground from left, panelled doors with rectangular fanlights to 2nd, 4th and 5th bays. Centre bays above with blind windows; centre 5 bays only to gablehead.

W ELEVATION: 4-storey 8-bay with warehouse doors and pair of gableheaded dormer hoists to inner 3rd bays (being converted to windows). Ashlar ground floor; segmental-headed windows. Various alterations at ground including addtion of single storey piend-roofed range extending from and beyond 2 left bays.

N ELEVATION: 4-storey and attic 6-bay; 2 centre bays slightly advanced. At ground windows to 2 centre bays with tenement door between; penultimate bay to right with restaurant doorpiece with engaged Ionic columns; window to right; windows to 2 left bays. Inner bays of main upper storeys blank; attic with windows to 4 central bays.

16-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates, ashlar coped skews; apex stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

The 1853 OS map shows a complete colonnade.

References

Bibliography

RIAS Guide EDINBURGH (1992) p221. Gifford et.al EDINBURGH (1988) p479. Kirkwood?s Map of 1817.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1A AND 2-11 (INCLUSIVE NOS) DOCK PLACE; EH6 6LU

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/10/2019 07:48