John Honeyman, 1881-3. Large Early English church. Aisles and clerestoried nave, N transept, vestry to NE, 41m tower to NW. To W, 2-storey plain gabled Hall with Beadle's house behind. Courses stugged sandstone with smooth dressings, stiff-lead capitals, set-back buttresses, hoodmoulded lancets (larger flanked by nook-shafts), 2-tier moulded base course. Moulded eaves.
TOWER: 3-stage. 1st 2 stages with corner buttresses. Pointed arch deeply chamfered doorway to N with nook-shafts and dog-tooth carvings; 2-leaf boarded door. Lancet at ground to W. Small paired lancets to all faces above, hoodmould/string course. 2nd stage with single lancet to E and W faces; pair of lancets between string courses to all faces above. 3rd stage with 1 massive louvred lancet to E face, 2 to others. Corbelled, blind-arcaded parapet. Stair tower in buttress at SE corner with arrowslit windows, octagonal cap-house with colonettes and conical stone roof, giving access to parapet.
N (SLATEFORD ROAD) ELEVATION: tower at right. 4-bay isle, paired lancets divided by buttresses, single lancet at left with door deep-set in advanced pointed-arch gabled panel; nook-shafts; niche in gablehead flanked by quatrefoil roundels. Clerestorey with 3 grouped lancets to each bay, pair at far left; hoodmould course.
TRANSEPT: (contains organ) gabled; stepped 3-light hoodmoulded lancets, nookshafts and cill course, flanked by corner buttresses; cross finial. Pair of hoodmoulded lancets to E. At left, single storey canted vestry projecting to E; doorway to N with roll-moulded cusped surround, oculus above; bipartites or single lancet windows with hoodmould course to each face.
E ELEVATION: gabled; stepped 5-light lancets, outer lights blinded, clustered nook-shafts, blind arcade below with polished granite colonettes. S (HARRISON ROAD) ELEVATION: 5-bay aisle and clerestorey as above; gabled porch to left of final lancet, with door deep-set in 4-pointed arch surround. Lancets on returns of aisle. Further bay at outer left; stepped 3-light lancet windows with relieving arch at ground (lights narthex), clerestorey as above.
W GABLE: pair of tall lancets, oculus above. To right, 2-stage semi-circular stair tower for gallery. Leaded windows. Blue-grey slates with much lichen, red ridge tiles. Plain skews.
INTERIOR: 5-bay hoodmoulded arcade with masque label stops (unidentified) on ashlar columns, taller and richer crossing arch containing fine gothic organ case, organ by Brindley & Foster, 1895. Gallery at rear leading to Session and Store room in tower. Open queenpost roof, braces on carved bosses (mostly foliate, but two with faces). Fine pulpit and lectern painted with fruits of the Bible by Gertrude Hope. Reredos under E window, choirstalls to right (moved from in front of reredos). Original pews, light fittings replaced. Screen under balcony; fielded panelling to doors with leaded, coloured glass lights leading to inner narthex with slightly pitched timber roofs; tiled floor with decorative border; war memorial plaque. Steps down to porch, planked door minutely panelled. Brass plaque to Rev George Wilson, 1st Minister of the church. STAINED GLASS: 3 E lancets by A Ballantine & Gardiner, 1895. At ends of S aisle lights by James Ballantine & Son, 1886; on S side lancet by Douglas Strachan, 1925. HALL: 2-storey rectangular buttressed L-plan hall with gables to N and W; materials as above. N gable with tripartite window at ground, hoodmould course; same at 1st floor, oculus above. To W shouldered windows. Hall at 1st floor with braced wagon roof. Single storey link to church at W (recently extended at rear); door in shouldered frame, small shouldered window. BEADLE'S HOUSE: 2-storey 2-bay house attached to rear of Hall. Single storey porch to W. Materials as above; pyramidal roof.
BOUNDARY WALLS: smooth ashlar squared and snecked wall in tall and short sections with saddleback coping and wrought iron railings between. Octagonal gatepiers with pointed caps to N doors. Large garden to E.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.