There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: A
- See Notes
- Date Added: 09/01/1987
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 26763 76674
- Coordinates: 326763, 676674
John Rennie and John Patterson, 1800-1806 (ends only); centre completed in 2 stages 1830-40; W end (Bond 35) with later concrete attic; sundry subsequent additions and alterations.
Unusually long, 31-bay 4-storey and attic warehouse. Squared coursed rubble, ashlar dressings and band courses between floors; some ashlar facing at ground to N; segmental-arched openings, mostly iron-barred, some blocked, some with louvred timber doors. Brick groin-vaulted basements. Low parapets conceal roofs; W block with raised attic storey.
N elevation to docks similarly detailed.
S AND N ELEVATIONS: 30 bays arranged from E in blocks of 4, 10 and 16 bays, with wallheads between; hoists to N. E block slightly taller; hoists in raised wallhead. Double gabled dormer openings and crane hoists to centre block; W block with concrete attic storey. W block with iron lettering to S: MACDONALD & MUIR BONDED STORES and, in italics, HIGHLAND QUEEN.
E ELEVATION: 5-bay; flat-topped gablehead and 1st and 2nd floors united with full-height windows.
W ELEVATION: 5-bay; raised attic, centre openings blocked.
Ashlar coped skews. Grey slates.
INTERIORS: brick groin-vaulted basements supported on stone piers; flanked by access barrel-vaults. Combination of timber post and beam and cast-iron supports for upper floors. Bond 35 rebuilt with concrete beams after bomb damage inflicted by Zeppelin.
GATEPIERS: pair of octagonal ashlar piers with pyramidal caps to W.
Statement of Special Interest
A Group with the East Warehouses (see separate listing). The East dock was built from 1800-06 and the W dock from 1810-1817, to the designs of John Rennie. The warehouses are of national importance as the only dockside development comparable to Rennie's London Docks 1802-5 (demolished in the 1970's), and with the West India Docks of 1802-3 are the oldest surviving regular range of multi-storey harbour warehouses in Britain. The next regular multi-storey dock warhehouses outside London were Albert Dock, Liverpool, in the 1840's, and in Scotland the quite different James Watt Dock, Greenock of 1886.
London Dock warehouses were also 4-storey timber-framed with vaults beneath the quays for wines and spirits, groined at the centres and barrel-vaulted for strength at the ends. The vaults were on similar stone piers that differ slightly in the degree of chamfering at the capitals. The exteriors were brick with band and blocking courses concealing the roofs. Hoists were at 3rd, 5th, 8th, and 10th bays of each block. The external regularity of the Leith warehouses being compromised by delays in completion and by infilling of the gaps in slightly different styles.
SRO RHP 44614 (Carron Warehouse). Gifford et.al EDINBURGH (1988) p479. RIAS Guide EDINBURGH (1992) p221. 1813 Map of Leith. Kirkwood¿s Map 1817. Thomson's Map 1825. F Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER IV (1895) p485-487. John Hume THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND I (1976). NELP/GLC DOCKLAND ed. RJM Carr (1986) pp21-30, 38-9, 197-8. James S Marshall THE LIFE AND TIMES OF LEITH Edinburgh (1985) p114.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.