Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

8 ABBOTSFORD CRESCENTLB26706

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
30/03/1993
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24322 71623
Coordinates
324322, 671623

Description

Circa 1865. 2-storey and basement 4-bay subdivided villa with Renaissance detail and large modern additon (1962) to SE. Cream sandstone, squared and snecked stugged rubble with polished ashlar dressings to front, squared and snecked rubble to rear and side. Band course above basement and ground floor; eaves cornice with blocking course and balustraded parapet; stop-chamfered reveals; bracketted cills; rusticated quoins; ashlar mullions.

NE (FRONT) ELEVATION: raised doorway to left of centre accessed by steps, balustraded parapet with moulded dies, Roman Doric porch with frieze of triglyphs and roundels, dentilled cornice and blocking course, round-arched and keystoned moulded door surround, 2-leaf panelled door and semi-circular plate glass fanlight; single window at 1st floor above. Flanking bays with bipartite windows to each floor. Advanced bay to outer right with tripartie windows in advanced panel at ground and 1st floor. SW (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-storey canted window with half-piend roof to left of centre. Tall round-arched stair window to right of centre. Square projection with tripartite windows and half-piend roof to outer left.

NE ELEVATION: corniced and shouldered wallhead stack. SE ELEVATION: large 2-storey flat-roofed rendered addition (1962). Wallhead stack rebuilt and rendered. Timber sash and case windows with plate glass glazing, some 4-pane windows to rear. Piend and platform slate roof with metal flashings; 2 wallhead stacks (see above), truncated central stack.

INTERIOR: multiple subdivision. Tiled vestibule, tripartite inner doorpiece with etched glass, central stair with cast-iron balustrade. Low rubble wall to front with saddleback coping.

References

Bibliography

Shown as projected on 1861 Lancefield map, shown completed on 1868 Post Office directory map. Dean of Guild 20/4/1662 and 4/1/1963 for addition and subdivision.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 8 ABBOTSFORD CRESCENT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/10/2021 09:27