Tower house of 1530 altered and added to in 17th, 18th and
19th centuries, with renovation 1890, H Walker of Edinburgh.
Harled with ashlar margins and dressings, coped stacks,
crow-stepped gables and slate roofs.
2 and 3 storeys with basements/cellars and attics. 1530
tower house adjoining lower, secondary (contemporary?) block
to west making Z-plan, with circular stair turret at north
east re-entrant angle and at diagonally opposite angles;
that to south east has 2 tiers of gun ports and is corbelled
to square for 2 upper storeys, parapet with decorated panels
dated 1612 or 1616, with conical-roofed cap house.
Openings mostly enlarged; small-pane sashes. Additions to
secondary block; 4-bay west wing (probably 1822), with angle
turret and nepus gable facing south, and composite rear range
in Z-plan (circa 1760 and various 19th century alterations
and additions) comprising former stable block (rusticated
quoins and 2 modern garage openings) extending from L-plan
wing; latter is now part 3 and part 2-storey with full-
height canted projection facing walled garden, porch to
north gable, eastern wing raised and additional corbelled
angle turret at south east. 2-storey 3-bay cottage to north
linked by low covered way.
Statement of Special Interest
Built for Scrymgeour family of Myres, and possibly by John
Scrymgeour, Master of the King's works, who was engaged
nearby at Falkland Palace.
Upper addition to south east turret bears a datestone, and
armorial panels of Stephen Paterson and Elizabeth Mure, his
wife, who had acquired Myres by 1611. The date-stone may
read 1612 or 1616 (dates 1530, circa 1760 and 1822 from
owner: A H Millar says "greatly enlarged and improved 1828").
Family home for a time of Reginald Fairlie, architect,
although (1981) no work by him at Myres is identified.